Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AlEr_4025481
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Hi there,

I'm fighting with data lost during DMA transfer and totally stuck on two questions... To be sure that received data is monotonic I attached an FPGA which works as a basic counter. FPGA sends to FX3 512 byte blocks, each block filled by 16-bit block number. For example, first 512 bytes of data filled by 0x0000, 2nd 512 bytes filled by 0x0001, 3rd 512 bytes filled by 0x0002 and so on. Verilog source code is below.

module main(

input RD,

input RST,

output [15:0] DATA,

output LED

);

reg [23:0] counter;

always @(negedge RST or posedge RD)

begin

if (!RST)

counter <= 0;

else

counter <= counter + 24'd1;

end

assign DATA = counter[23:8];

assign LED = counter[13];

endmodule

FX3 GPIF configured as master async device, each DATA_IN action asserts RD output.

2020-08-02_21-38-37.png

DMA configuration:

dmaCfg.size = 16384;

dmaCfg.count = 1;

dmaCfg.prodSckId = CY_U3P_PIB_SOCKET_0;

dmaCfg.consSckId = CY_U3P_UIB_SOCKET_CONS_1;

dmaCfg.dmaMode = CY_U3P_DMA_MODE_BYTE;

dmaCfg.notification = 0;

dmaCfg.cb = NULL;

dmaCfg.prodHeader = 0;

dmaCfg.prodFooter = 0;

dmaCfg.consHeader = 0;

dmaCfg.prodAvailCount = 0;

As soon as vendor code received data transfer starts with CyU3PGpifSMSwitch() API. Every tyme I'm trying to get exactly 16384 bytes of data through bulk IN EP, no less, no more, because GPIF SM uses LD_DATA_COUNT action and grabs only 8192 words (16384 bytes). But unfortunately sometimes I see a data lost in the MIDDLE of transfer. Sometimes data received correctly, sometimes not. And as I see when data lost happens, it's always happens at the same offset between 0x0008 and 0x0009 words as on the 3rd picture below.

2020-08-02_21-23-11.png

2020-08-02_21-27-15.png

2020-08-02_21-29-36.png

So my first question is what I missed? Should I change something in GPIF or DMA config?

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hello,

I have tested the attached firmware at my end.

1) I have pulled up DQ[15] pin and then passed the vendor command. On transfer IN I don't see the data loss

2) For the second test,I have pulled up DQ[1] pin and then passed the vendor command. I don't see the data loss in this case as well

Here are the debug prints for the same

teraterm_prints.PNG

From this test, we can confirm that the problem is not on the FX3 hardware but it might be in the synchronization between FX3 (IN DATA) and FPGA (DATA_OUT).

There is a possibility that data is not in sync with the DATA IN of FX3.

To confirm that we would need the traces of data lines (16 bit) along with the RD signal. Please probe the data bus along with the RD signals and share the traces.

Regards,

Rashi

Regards,
Rashi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies