FX3 Slave FIFO FLAG

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I config FX3 as Slave FIFO 32bit.

If I set FLAGA is Thread_0_DMA_Ready, FLAGB is Thread_0_DMA_Watermark, and set watermark as 4.

Assume DMA buffer is 1024*4.

Because the write is random, I assume the flowing steps:

1. Write 1019 words to fifo;
2. Because no data, wait some cycles;
3. Write 2 words to fifo; (I think FLAGB is not active, because 3 cycles latency)
4. Because no data, wait some cycles, now FLAGB is active;
5. Now data arrived, but we cannot know how many space at DMA buffer? FLAGB=L, FLAGA=H, ( actual has 3 words space);

I think, at step 5, we can only use single write cycle? For example, write one word, and wait 4 cycles, then check the FLAGA?

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The formula in An65974 application note says:

When writing from an external master to the synchronous Slave FIFO: (a) The number of data words that may be written after the clock edge at which the partial flag is sampled low = watermark x (32/bus width) – 4

So, no. of words after FLag B low = 4 * 32/32 - 4 = 0

This means in your case, after Flag B has reached low, you can no longer write any more data. This means in your case, the Flag B becomes low only after 1024th byte is written. (In your case size of each buffer is 1024 as you mentioned)

So after 1019, you can still write 5 more bytes (ofcourse you can wait in between if you do not have Data)/.. Only after that the flag B samples low.

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply.

But I think you don't catch my question.

I put the waveform here.

The configuration of waveform is: DMA buffer size if 16384,and watermark is 4.

FLAGA is Thread_0_DMA_Ready, FLAGB is Thread_0_DMA_Watermark

​So I think for random write access, if watermark is actived, we can only use single write and delay 4 cycles to check FLAGA.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

DO  you understand the watermark? I don't understand, could you tell me?

0 Likes