FX3 Serial number

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jjFrutos
Level 1
Level 1
First like given 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

Hi,

We are looking for the proper way to assign a Custom Serial Number for mass production.

I've been looking in the forums and I find out the way to make it using the register EFUSE_DIE_ID. But we would like that the SN of the product to match our companies procedure to assign a serial number. There is any way to achieve this? Or the only way to make it without using the EFUSE_DIE_ID is making a Firmware image for every system?

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,

Juanjo

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
SrinathS_16
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hello Juanjo,

Please find the attached .EXE file. Running this EXE file would generate multiple IMG files with incremented serial numbers starting with CA0000 until the specified value. The base firmware must be generated with the serial number string set to CA0000. This can be done by following the steps mentioned in interaction 1 of the below thread.

CX3 UVC-CDC - Identifying the CDC COM port

Working of the application:

- The application opens the IMG file mentioned in the argument 2.

- It then scans through the firmware binary to find the string starting with 'CA' (This can be modified if required. I have taken this as an example since you mentioned it).

- When it finds the string, it modifies the serial number in an incremental fashion and generates IMG files amounting to the number mentioned in argument 1.

- These files are stored in the path mentioned in argument 3.

pastedImage_1.png

Kindly, look into the Readme.txt file for information on using the application.

When these IMG files are programmed into the FX3 device, the device instance path of each device (can be obtained from device manager) will be unique and contains the serial number string as part of it.

Best regards,

Srinath S

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
abhinavg_21
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hi Juanjo,

Unique id is already stored in EFUSE_DIE_ID by Cypress. You can't modify it. You can only read that register (0xE0055010) value, modify it according to your company's serial number policy and populate it in the USB descriptor.

Thanks & Regards

Abhinav

0 Likes
SrinathS_16

Hello Juanjo,

Please let us know if your requirement is to add a serial number as part of the firmware (descriptor information) or do you want the device to come up as the default boot-loader with a different VID/PID.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi Srinath S,

We would like to know if there is a way to have different custom serial numbers with the same, without having to compile a different firmware image for every device.

When I said custom I ment that p.e. we would like to have in our devices as Serial Number "CAXXXX" where XXXX shall go from the 0000 to 9999.

Is this possible? without compiling 9999 images?

Best Regards,

Juanjo

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
SrinathS_16

Hello Juanjo,

Please find the attached .EXE file. Running this EXE file would generate multiple IMG files with incremented serial numbers starting with CA0000 until the specified value. The base firmware must be generated with the serial number string set to CA0000. This can be done by following the steps mentioned in interaction 1 of the below thread.

CX3 UVC-CDC - Identifying the CDC COM port

Working of the application:

- The application opens the IMG file mentioned in the argument 2.

- It then scans through the firmware binary to find the string starting with 'CA' (This can be modified if required. I have taken this as an example since you mentioned it).

- When it finds the string, it modifies the serial number in an incremental fashion and generates IMG files amounting to the number mentioned in argument 1.

- These files are stored in the path mentioned in argument 3.

pastedImage_1.png

Kindly, look into the Readme.txt file for information on using the application.

When these IMG files are programmed into the FX3 device, the device instance path of each device (can be obtained from device manager) will be unique and contains the serial number string as part of it.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi Srinath S,

Thanks for the information and support given.

Best regards,

Juanjo

0 Likes