EZ-USB CX3 Demo Failure

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KRingg
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

I apologize if this question is remedial... I'm brand-new to the EZ-USB product line. I've developed a custom PCB that contains three EZ-USB CX3 ICs, all connected through a USB Hub. Let me start by telling you what works:

• All three EZ-USB devices show up in "USB Control Center" (as "Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device")
  • I've successfully installed and compiled a number of default firmware projects (to IMG files in Release mode), including:
    • cyfxbulklpauto
    • cyfxbulklpauto_cpp
    • cyfxuvcinmem
    • cycx3_uvc_ov5640
  • I can select one of the devices in "USB Control Center" and run: "Program" - "FX3" - "RAM"
  • I get the message "Programing Succeeded" and the device reboots (disconnects)

However, that's all that happens. The device never seems to come back online with the new firmware... irrespective of which demo I've tried. The only thing I can think of is that there's some compile file I need to set to specify CX3... but haven't found reference to any such flag in the documentation. Beyond that, I'm at a total loss..

Any suggestions you may have would be most appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello,

Thanks for the update

The “AN70707 - FX3 / FX3S Hardware Design Guidelines” application note discusses recommended practices for FX3/FX3S hardware design, which are also applicable to CX3.

Please refer to this KBA for the CX3 reference design CX3 Hardware: Frequently Asked Questions - KBA9129... - Cypress Developer Community 

Regards,
Rashi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Rashi_Vatsa

Hello,

Please let me know if the device comes up in the Device manager when programed with different default firmware. For UVC firmware like cycx3_uvc_ov5640/cyfxuvcinmem, the device is expected to enumerate under camera section of device manager.

If no, please try programming the device with default  USBBulkSrcSink firmware of the FX3 SDK 1.3.4 and share the UART debug prints

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes

Unfortunately, irrespective of what image I flash to RAM, the device never comes back online.

As I've done more digging, I've concluded that the issue is that I failed to connect the watchdog clock. I also found a handful of other issues in my PCB design that I've corrected. Hopefully the next revision will allow correct functionality.

0 Likes
Rashi_Vatsa

Hello,

Thanks for the update

The “AN70707 - FX3 / FX3S Hardware Design Guidelines” application note discusses recommended practices for FX3/FX3S hardware design, which are also applicable to CX3.

Please refer to this KBA for the CX3 reference design CX3 Hardware: Frequently Asked Questions - KBA9129... - Cypress Developer Community 

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes