Connecting External 8-Bit SRAM

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Gaogg
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi, I'm new to learn how USB works. So i bought SuperSpeed Explorer kit recently. It's my fault that i didn't RTFM well. But i need some help.

1. First, I want to connect 8-bit SRAM that i have. Here's what i did

fig1.JPG

I used this 8-bit SRAM. Here's reference doc and you can check this in detail.

https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/127524/HITACHI/HM6264ALP-10.html

I connected DQ(0 ~ 7) to I/O(1~8), DQ(8 ~ 15) to A (1 ~ 8).

fig4.PNG

Also i connected CTL0(DQ17) to !CS, CTL1(DQ18) to !WE, CTL2(DQ19) to !OE. J5 was disabled ofc.

fig2.PNG

And i fixed 32bit address to 8bit address via GPIF II Designer. This project is basically contained in "SRAM-FX3" Example, so i just fixed only that one.  after that, i generated config header, Re-Built "SRAM-FX3" Firmware Example.

fig3.PNG

This was i got. I followed SRAM Example based on manual, but i couldn't figure out what is wrong.

Please let me know what i've missed.

2. As far as i understand, Transition Equation between state slots from State Machine could change GPIOs' state.

fig5.PNG

but i don't understand how it works. Comment said,

=================================

The fromState parameter can be used to ensure that the transition to toState
happens only when the state machine is in a well defined idle state. If a
valid state id (0 - 255) is passed as the fromState, the transition is only
allowed from that state index. If not, the state machine is immediately
switched to the toState.

=================================

"Valid state" should be in 0 ~ 255, but why did they use 256 in CyU3PGpifSMSwitch?

and it seems this sentence tells me that i'm wrong. does anyone explain this in detail? I'm really confused.

Many thanks.

0 Likes
7 Replies
AliAsgar
1000 replies posted 250 solutions authored 750 replies posted

Hello,

1. Could you confirm if the connections at the FX3-SRAM interface are done properly. Also could you confirm if the  interface timings were met?

2.  Is the GPIF II project and firmware used similar to the srammaster project in the FX3 SDK? If not, let us know the changes

3. Why according to you does the output(BULK in transfer) seem to have the wrong data? How was it verified?

In the CyU3PGpifSMSwitch() API, 0-255 are the valid states and 256 is an invalid state. When an invalid state is passed for the fromState parameter, it means that the state machine will switch state to toState, regardless of its previous state.

Best Regards,

AliAsgar

0 Likes
Gaogg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

Thank you for your reply. I'm so glad to be helped. 🙂

fig1.JPG

fig4.PNG

 I just followed how FX3 internal SRAM is connected in Schematic.

I didn't check the timing tho. It was working with internal 32-bit SRAM mounted in FX3, So i think it should work with external 8-bit too unless i ruined wiring between 8-bit SRAM and FX3 kit.

2. Yes, i didn't change anything except Databus Length from 32-bit to 8-bit. that's all.

3. As i understood, it should work because it seems there are no differences between 32 bit and 8 bit except few changes. 

So... CyU3PGpifSMSwitch() should be...

if FromState param is valid... 

FromState -> (Some other States or not) -> ToState

if not... it goes immediately

FromState(Invalid) -> ToState

is this correct? Besides, I really don't get that Which APIs(or somethings) changes GPIOs' states. I suspect "CyU3PGpifSMSwitch()" does.

and comment said..

====================

The endState can be used to obtain a notification when the state machine
execution has reached the designated end state. Again, this functionality
is only valid if a valid endState value is passed in.

====================

it seems Endstate informs whether transition from FromSate to ToState goes well. But i think we just notice this from Return value. am i wrong? hm...

I'm so sorry but please correct me. My Eng is pretty short and even i tried some examples i cannot understand GPIF States easily ;(

Best Regards,

Gaogg

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi Gaogg,

Could you let us know what was written on the SRAM and what was expected to be read?

>> CyU3PGpifSMSwitch() is used to switch between any two states of a State machine, regardless of the transitions between them. When fromState is a valid parameter, then the state machine switches to the toState, only when the state machine is currently in the mentioned valid fromState. If the fromState is invalid, the state Machine switches to the toState irrespective of its current state.

>>endState is used to obtain notification only when the state machine has reached the designated endState. It does not inform whether the transition from fromState to toState goes well. That is checked by the return value as you rightly mentioned. endState only informs when the control has been switched to the last state(endState) and no more switches are possible.

Best Regards,

AliAsgar

0 Likes
Gaogg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi AliAsgar, 🙂 

1. I just followed Example, "SRAM Example" in para 3.6.2 from "SuperSpeed Explorer Kit User Guide". Since I used 8-bit SRAM,  so i thought i should get only 256 bytes of sequential values. Because "1024_Count.hex" has 1024 bytes of sequential values.

1.JPG

In "Transition Conditions" in para 7.4.3 from "EZ-USB FX3 Technical Reference", there should be an equation to change its state to other state. So Outputs which are connected to each GPIOs must be changed to satisfy equation. For example, Both CE and RE must be LOW to change from IDLE state to READ. 

I thought there must be "something" to change GPIOs' states to HIGH or LOW but i cannot figure them out except "CyU3PGpifSMSwitch()" 😕

As you said,

"CyU3PGpifSMSwitch() is used to switch between any two states of a State machine, regardless of the transitions between them."

refers that i'm wrong.

1234.PNG

State Machine detects changes in every clock, then what changes the GPIOs' states to satisfy states' equations? i think "DR_GPIO" Action may do that, but examples in GPIF II Designer does not show how it works.

Best Regards,

Gaogg

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi Gaogg,

1.  I have some comments,

a. What is the amount of data being transmitted?

b. Could you try changing the ADDR_COUNT limit to 1023 in the GPIF designer and check.

c. It would be helpful if you could probe the interface signals.

2. Could you specify which GPIF project is being used here? In the state machine which is shared by you, SRAM is the master, but from the matrix configuration shared by you, FX3 seems to be the master. Could you give a better clarity on this?

Best Regards,
AliAsgar 

0 Likes
Gaogg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi AliAsgar,

Hmm.. 

Sorry. It seems i didn't clarify my question. so let me get it straight.

1. Goal

I want to connect external 8-bit SRAM via re-using reference project from

SuperSpeed Explorer Kit User Guide. You can check this project in para 3.6.2, "SRAM Example"

fig1.PNG

"SRAM Example" contains its GPIF II project, as manual describes.

fig2.PNG

so i used this project as the reference.

2. What i've done

fig3.PNG

fig6.PNG

I didn't change anything except Databus Length from 32-bit to 8-bit from the original one to figure out how it works on another interface.

fig7.JPG

fig8.PNG

and i did hardware wiring as hardware manual described from "SuperSpeed Explorer Kit Schematic" in "SuperSpeed Explorer Kit". You can check this in "SRAM Interface" section.

and I just followed Example, "SRAM Example" in para 3.6.2 from "SuperSpeed Explorer Kit User Guide".

3. What i got

fig9.PNG

I expected my result should be sequential 16-bit values. but it was not.

4. Additional Question i asked.

fig6.PNG

1234.PNG

Both GPIF state maps are from the official Cypress Manuals. It makes me really confused.

Because i should swich GPIOs' states or give signals to peripherals to control them. But i felt that GPIF projects from Cypress kit do not describe well and how it works. That's why i tried "SRAM Example" with my external 8bit SRAM.

and that's why i asked like this,

=========================

State Machine detects changes in every clock, then what changes the GPIOs' states to satisfy states' equations? i think "DR_GPIO" Action may do that, but examples in GPIF II Designer does not show how it works.

=========================

So i do want the answer of this. :S

ofc, i used oscilloscope to catch signals like "OE", "WE", "CE". but some of them didn't work just what i expected. But i thought i should understand GPIF project first before finding the reason why.

Please feel free to answer. I will clarify what you can't understand as far as i can.

Best Regards,

Gaogg

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi Gaogg,

1. Could you send all 0's in bulk out transfer and share with us the bulk in result?
2. Could you try changing the ADDR_COUNT limit to 1023 in the GPIF designer and check.
3. It would be helpful if you could probe the interface signals.

Regarding the state machine, DR_GPIO (drive GPIO) is used in states to change the GPIO value. In the interface definition, the GPIOs(OE, WE, CE) are given a initial value. The GPIO is then either toggled or asserted depending on the application.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes