Connect two FX3 back to back

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WGT_4383351
Level 5
Level 5
First like received

Can I connect two FX3 back to back through the FIFO interface, then connect two PCs to each of them, then communicate at very high speed between the PCs (e.g. USB NIC or USB CDC)?

If so, can I do this with two CYUSB3KIT-003 (with a custom designed base board) ?

0 Likes
1 Solution
YangyangC_06
Employee
Employee
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 replies posted
0 Likes
6 Replies
WGT_4383351
Level 5
Level 5
First like received

In AN87216:

This application note focuses on the design of a synchronous FIFO master interface. A master initiates transfers, drives an address bus (if present), and usually supplies a clock to the slave. The slave device used in this design is another FX3 device whose GPIF II unit is programmed to act as a Slave FIFO. To test the design, we connected two FX3 Development Kits (DVKs) using each one’s GPIF II interface, and one FX3 DVK is programmed to act as the FIFO slave unit.

0 Likes
YangyangC_06
Employee
Employee
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Of course it's possible to do that. You could refer to thel link first.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an87216-designing-gpif-ii-master-interface

0 Likes

Do you know what are the best example firmware to start with to fit this configuration? Can we get 3Gbps+ with CDC under windows? (The FIFO max clock seems to be 100MHz which can't saturate the SS rate. )

0 Likes

Haven't you noticed that we have attached the firmware in the link above?

I haven't test this firmware and I don't know the data rate of this application. You may try to setup the connection and test the real data rate.

The transfer speed depens not only on FX3 but also some other factors.

You may take the linke below as a reading material.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an86947-optimizing-usb-30-throughput-ez-usb-...

0 Likes

Just noticed that the example hardware use 16 bit data which give 1.6Gbps@100Mhz which maybe ~1Gbps considering overheads which is like Gbe which make it not that useful. Can we use 32bit bus with two CYUSB3KIT-003?

0 Likes

Yes you could modify the data bus to 32-bit.

0 Likes