Can FX-3 support non-UVS device?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NTU-David
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Hi

Recently, we working on a project, it need to communicate with OCT camera and FPGA by using USB3.0.

The problem is the OCT camera can't support UVS protocol, it is using a driver making by themselves.(The driver can work on the JETSONTX2 arm64 device, OS is Linux)

When I reviewed the EZ-USB FX3 user manual, the FX3 has ARM and it can working on Linux.

Can EZ-USB FX3 install the extra diver or I need build other driver by myself ?

Or does the EZ-USB FX3 have only USB PHY mode?

Looking forward to your reply, I will appreciate that.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi David,

From the block diagram I see that you need FX3 to act as USB 3.0 Host to communicate with camera. That is, the middle block in the above block diagram, is EZ-USB FX3 acting as USB 3.0 Host. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If it is correct, then please note the following:

1) FX3 can only act as USB 2.0 embedded Host and not 3.0

2) We do not support Linux on FX3

3) There is a example firmware where FX3 acts as usb 2.0 embedded host to Mass storage and HID class devices. For your application you will have to make your own driver referring to the example. The custom driver you write should be able to handle communication to camera and FPGA.

example can be found here after installing FX3 SDK:

{SDK_Installation_path}\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\firmware\basic_examples\cyfxusbhost

Regards,

Hemanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Hemanth

Hi,

FX3 has ARM processor and the firmware libraries (using which application firmware is written) is based on ThreadX RTOS. FX3 can be used to interface FPGA/Image sensors. Below appnote document the same.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an75779-how-implement-image-sensor-interface...

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an65974-designing-ez-usb-fx3-slave-fifo-inte...

AN75779 is a UVC based application. But a non-UVC application can also be built using FX3.

I am not quite clear on your requirement. Can you please provide a block diagram and more explanation?

Regards, 

Hemanth
0 Likes

Hi Hemanth 

Thanks for your reply, this is our block diagram.

投影片1.JPG

In our application,we need to connect Camera with FPGA. The Camera is using USB3.0 interface and it  can't  support UVS function, needs other driver to control the camera, it is provided by the camera vendor(it can install in linux os ).In according the Camera user guild, it need to install a file name called 88-cyusb, so I guess the camera is using the cypress chip too.

My question is that FX-3 can install this driver? when I review the FX3 document, I didn't see any chapter talk about how to install extra driver on FX3.

Additionally, could you provide more detail information about using FX3 build connection with non-UVS device?

Best Regard

NTU-David 

0 Likes
Hemanth

Hi David,

From the block diagram I see that you need FX3 to act as USB 3.0 Host to communicate with camera. That is, the middle block in the above block diagram, is EZ-USB FX3 acting as USB 3.0 Host. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If it is correct, then please note the following:

1) FX3 can only act as USB 2.0 embedded Host and not 3.0

2) We do not support Linux on FX3

3) There is a example firmware where FX3 acts as usb 2.0 embedded host to Mass storage and HID class devices. For your application you will have to make your own driver referring to the example. The custom driver you write should be able to handle communication to camera and FPGA.

example can be found here after installing FX3 SDK:

{SDK_Installation_path}\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\firmware\basic_examples\cyfxusbhost

Regards,

Hemanth
0 Likes

Hi Hemanth 

Exactly! I would like FX3 become the host to access the camera!

Your reply is really helpful, I really appreciate that!

0 Likes