CYUSB FX3/CX3 Spi flash memory compatibility

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

here is the SPI flash memory used in my design: Microchip SST26WF040B

From datasheet:

PP Page Program 02H

Read Read Memory 03H

RDSR Read Status Register 05H

WREN Write Enable 06H

BE11 Erase 64, 32 or 8 KBytes of Memory Array D8H

I cannot write into the memory (but I could write into an other device with the same hardware configuration: Windbond W25X40CL)

Thanks for your comments,

Nico

0 Likes
1 Solution
LuTr_1679866
Level 2
Level 2
Welcome! 5 replies posted First question asked

Hello,

First of all, the microchip memory has a different memory structure with variable block size. So you cannot use Cypress Control Center without modifying the UsbFlashProg

You also need to set the Write Block protection (42h cmd) to null prior to erase any block on the SPi Flash.

You can read each block status using the 72h command to verify each block status.

I also found out that switching SPI mode 0 to 3 was not well supported by the SPI flash. So try to keep a coherent SPI mode from boot to prog.

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ManaskantD_51
Employee
Employee
Welcome! 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

I see a difference between the operating voltage between both the SPI flash part numbers. Microchip flash works at 1.8 V while Winbond flash works at 2.5/3/3.3 V.  What voltage supply are you using to the flash as well as SPI voltage domain of FX3/CX3?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

The Power domain of the spi bus for the CX3 (VDDIO3) is matching the spi memory (1.8V)

I am wondering if for any reason this memory is not supported by the CX3.

0 Likes

I looked into the parameters and they all look fine. From the high level inspection of the datasheet, I do not see a reason why it should not work. Please verify whether the interface is fine and commands other than write are working fine. Please verify your schematic too from Section 8.4 and 8.5 of the Hardware Design Guidelines Application note - www.cypress.com/AN70707.

0 Likes
LuTr_1679866
Level 2
Level 2
Welcome! 5 replies posted First question asked

Hello,

First of all, the microchip memory has a different memory structure with variable block size. So you cannot use Cypress Control Center without modifying the UsbFlashProg

You also need to set the Write Block protection (42h cmd) to null prior to erase any block on the SPi Flash.

You can read each block status using the 72h command to verify each block status.

I also found out that switching SPI mode 0 to 3 was not well supported by the SPI flash. So try to keep a coherent SPI mode from boot to prog.

Hope it helps.