CX3 bootloader not loads the firmware from SPI flash after power up

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm working with Denebola board and there is a problem with firmware load from SPI flash after power up. Switches are set for load via SPI, but after power up CX3 bootloader loads in USB mode. And only if I push the reset button it loads in SPI mode. Does anyone faced with this problem and how it can be solved?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Please contact e-consystems reporting about the issue. You may claim for a replacement if they too confirmed the issue. Usually such issues may occur in a faulty board which does not adhere to power up sequence of CX3.

A CX3 design should stick to the following power up sequence.

cx3 power up.JPG

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Please make sure that the firmware is actually written in SPI flash. You can verify that the data is being written and read out from the flash correctly (using the USBFlashProg example firmware).

2) Make sure that the PMODE pins are not connected to any other peripherals which may be driving it to some other value (this may cause the boot mode to change) 

3) Make sure that the flash size is more than the size of your .img generated.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) The firmware is actually written in SPI flash. After reset button pushing it loads and works fine. The frimware loading fail only after power up.

2) I'm sure that the PMODE pins are not connected to any other peripherals.

3) The flash size is 512 kBytes and the .img size is about 135 kBytes

0 Likes
YangyangC_06
Employee
Employee
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hi Vitaliy,

Can you share the schematic of SPI interface?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi yyca,

Here is the page with SPI Flash schematic from "e-CON_DENEBOLA_CX3_RDK_Schematics.pdf":

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

HI Vitaliy,

Ok, I got it.

I have not faced this kind of problem with Denebola board.

How long is the cable which you use in this application? Does the problem appear with USB 3.0 port only or not?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The cable is about 1 m (I'm using the cable from the Denebola box). The shutdown of USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 in the firmware have no effect on the problem. It seems the firmware loading from SPI flash fails after power on for some hardware reason, but it is perfectly loading after reset button pushing.

0 Likes

Hi Vitaliy,

Could you reproduce this problem 100% or it appears sometimes?

I think you could capture the SPI communication with SPI analyzer to get more information.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem arises constantly. I'll try to capture SPI

0 Likes

You could also share your firmware here. I will check on my side(but I don't think it is a firmware issue).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've downloaded the "CX3RDKOV5640_1.3.133.309.img" from SDK and the problem appears too.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Please contact e-consystems reporting about the issue. You may claim for a replacement if they too confirmed the issue. Usually such issues may occur in a faulty board which does not adhere to power up sequence of CX3.

A CX3 design should stick to the following power up sequence.

cx3 power up.JPG

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

0 Likes