Recognizing CDP, DCP, and SDP port types with FX2LP

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

I'm trying to add the ability to detect the host port type (Charging Downstream Port (CDP), Dedicated Charging Port (DCP), or Standard Downstream Port (SDP)) connected to an FX2LP device in an existing design. I need to determine how much power the host can source before attempting to connect a high-current (2A) battery charger. Has anyone done this using the FX2LP? I've searched the application notes, but the closest I've found deals with a different part.

Any help would be appreciated. 🙂

Thanks,

-Nick

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

FX2LP is not compliant to BC specification as far as the hardware is concerned. How are you planning on doing this?

Regards

Dhritiman

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dhritiman.

Thanks for the reply. That's the question to which I was hoping to find an answer. 🙂 Is USB BC the only reasonable way to accomplish this? For background, the hardware involved is a Trenz TE0630 FPGA module (http://www.trenz-electronic.de/products/fpga-boards/trenz-electronic/te0630-spartan-6-series.html). The FX2LP would be responsible for determining the power characteristics of the connected device. It would communicate this information to other hardware that would be responsible for managing the connections between the host device, the battery charging circuit, and communication circuit. Is such a thing possible with this hardware?

Thanks again,

-Nick

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nick, I do not think this will be possible using the FX2LP. It will not be able to recognize the type of port it is connected to on the USB side as the hardware will not support this.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dhritiman.

Thanks - I think you may be correct. 😞

-Nick

0 Likes