Implementing CY4618 using CY3684 w/ CY3686 firmware

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
40dbun04
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

I'm trying to replicate the old NX2LP CY4618 RDK setup, but using the more modern FX2LP (specifically on the CY3684 DVK board). For those unfamiliar, the CY4618 RDK has the NX2LP serve as the USB-to-NAND controller and acts as a Mass Storage Class device.

I've seen other posts saying that the NX2LP-Flex firmware (CY3686) will indeed work on the FX2LP. Since the NX2LP-Flex DVK is no longer available, I need to make this work without that nice extension board. So I have a TSOP-48 adapter that I am putting a S34ML16G3 into. I don't have a real schematic, but I attached a basic connection diagram. I know using the TP7 isn't ideal, but I'm just trying to prototype a basic design at the moment. Using the CY3684 docs, the S34ML16G3 datasheet, the FX2LP datasheet and the EZ-USB TRM it really looks like this should be possible.

My current problem is that the NX2LP Programming Utility is recognizing the attached NX2LP-Flex (actually the CY3684 w/ CY3686 firmware), but must not be detecting the attached flash chip. According to the docs, I should be seeing a pop-up that prompts me to "Add a New Part" where I enter the information about the NAND device. I have the green status at the bottom confirming that there is some form of connection, but the flash just doesn't seem to be detecting.

Any help would be appreciated! If anyone else has gotten this working, I'd be interested to hear about it. Or if someone has a better way to get a USB-to-NAND controller acting as a Mass Storage Device, that would be helpful too! Seems like the FX2LP DVK is the easiest way now that the NX2LP-related stuff is obsolete.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi,

Can you please let us know if you have programmed loader.iic into the large eeprom connected to fx2lp?

I am not sure if you have seen the below document:

https://www.cypress.com/file/128271/download

(above link is in https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy3686-ez-usb-nx2lp-flex-usb-20-develop...)

If not, please go through it.

Regards,

Hemanth
0 Likes

Can you please let us know if you have programmed loader.iic into the large eeprom connected to fx2lp?

I did program "loader.iic" into the large EEPROM. When I re-plug the CY3684 board after that, its also detected as "Cypress EZ-USB NX2LP-Flex Bootloader Device" in CyConsole.

I am not sure if you have seen the below document:

https://www.cypress.com/file/128271/download

I have read this, and I wired up my S34ML16G3 NAND flash in accordance to CY3686 schematic. But I am not seeing the expected behavior as described in section 3.3.3 in that guide. It says a "Add new parts" prompt should appear so that I can configure the specific NAND device. What should I have to do in order to make that prompt appear? I've tried manually adding my part to the OtherParts.xml file as described in the guide as well. But I assume since that pop-up isn't happening for me, that something else is wrong too.

0 Likes