FX2LP Firmware Update Issue with empty firmware in EEPROM in Windows 10

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
CL
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted First reply posted First question asked

Hi,

I met the problem when trying to update firmware to a new EEPROM in FX2LP in Windows 10/ 64-bit. The device can't be identified successfully and the application "cyclone" is locked and can't to operate anymore to load a new firmware.

How can I solve this problem? Thanks a lot.

CL_0-1619425209308.png

cyclone.jpg

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

From the driver screenshot it is unclear as to what version of CYUSB3 driver you are using.

PranavaYN_0-1619607549899.jpeg

Screenshot similar to above would help. If you are not using 1.2.3.20 version of the driver please do uninstall all other versions you have and install 1.2.3.20 from FX3 SDK - https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-usb-fx3-software-development-kit

I just want to make sure that the driver you are using is compatible with the OS.

Best regards,
Pranava

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
Pranava_YN

Hi,

Looks like the device is not bound to CYUSB3 driver properly. Can you try binding it to the driver and check if you can see the device? Also please do share the screenshot of details of device in device manager.

Is this a custom board? If yes, please make sure that I2C SDA line is disconnected from EEPROM so that device can enumerate as "Cypress FX2LP No EEPROM Device".

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
CL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi PranavaYN,

Actually, the device is a custom board which is connected to host already.  Please check the uploaded screenshot. Also, the device is enumerated as "Cypress FX2LP No EEPROM Device".

Best Regards,

CL

CL_0-1619434004960.png

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

Please share screenshots similar to the ones attached.

DevManager.jpgEvents.jpg

You can try uninstalling the device and reconnect again. As suggested earlier make sure the device is bound to CYUSB3 driver.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
CL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi PranavaYN,

I've tried to uninstall the driver/ device and re-plug and re-install the driver again. Unfortunately, it still can't work. The screenshot is also attached. FYR. Thanks.

Best Regards,

CL

CL_0-1619436640110.png

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

Can you please disconnect the EEPROM from the I2C lines leaving only Pull-Up resistors and connect the device to the PC. Let me know if device enumerates without the yellow bang in device manager as you have posted in your initial response.

Please crosscheck your schematic using Section 7. Schematic review checklist from the following appnote https://www.cypress.com/file/135006/download.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
CL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi PranavaYN,

I didn't remove the pull-up resistors in I2C bus. Instead, I tried to tied SDA to low when power on. Then, the host can't identify the device any more.

Let me describe more:

1. Actually, I have two PCB boards. They are all identical and produced at the some production period.

2. First, I took one of them and connect to a computer which is windows 7/ 32-bit. The board can be identified and make firmware updated successfully even no firmware in EEPROM by default.

3. After about 1 month passed, I tried to update the firmware into the another board which is no  firmware in EEPROM. Unfortunately, the host that is windows 7/ 32-bit is crashed. We get another pc and install it with windows 10/ 64-bit. Then, the board can't be identified and updated anymore.

So, I think the schematic design is okay. And the board can't be identified with Windows 10/64-bit is the problem why I post here.

Best Regards,

CL

0 Likes
CL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi PranavaYN,

Or what can I do to check if the anything wrong in schematic?

Best Regards,

CL

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

In that case, please do specify the Windows 10 version and build number. We can make sure if the driver is compatible with this version of Windows (attaching similar info from my PC)

PranavaYN_0-1619604648578.png

Also make sure that you have installed x64 version of CYUSB3 library from FX3 SDK.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
CL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My pc information is as the attached screenshot.

CL_0-1619605312259.png

And the driver is as the attached screenshot.

CL_1-1619605376213.pngCL_2-1619605397635.png

Best Regards,

CL

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

From the driver screenshot it is unclear as to what version of CYUSB3 driver you are using.

PranavaYN_0-1619607549899.jpeg

Screenshot similar to above would help. If you are not using 1.2.3.20 version of the driver please do uninstall all other versions you have and install 1.2.3.20 from FX3 SDK - https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-usb-fx3-software-development-kit

I just want to make sure that the driver you are using is compatible with the OS.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
CL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi PranavaYN,

This issue is solved. The root cause is the driver version is too old to set the device completely. The driver version I installed is 1.2.3.14. After download the newest version driver and install again, the device works successfully. Thanks for your great support. 

Best Regards,

CL

0 Likes