CY7C65211A - Finding/Installing proper CDC Driver?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 50 solutions authored

Hello!

I'm working on a a project using the CY7C65211A as a CDC USB-I2C Bridge.  This is something I actually have successfully done, but over a year ago, so with all the Cypress USB Drivers present on my system now, I think windows is installing the wrong one.  What I'm finding is I can connect with no problems to the Vendor MFG interface to configure the device, but I'm unable to actually use it as a CDC interface.  The Cypress USB Serial Test Utility shows the following:

Capture.JPG

The device is also not found by the Bootloader Host Utility in Creator 4.2, and attempting to write I2C with the cyusbserial.dll library in my .NET bootloader application gives me CY_ERROR_REQUEST_FAILED, which seems to point to it not being recognized as a proper CDC USB-Serial device.

In device manager, I can see the MFG device, as well as the USB-Serial device:

devmgmt.JPG

I had thought the driver at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\USB-Serial SDK\Cypress USB-Serial Driver\DriverBinary\CDC_Driver\bin\win10\x64

was the one I should be using, but I still am unable to find the device in the test utility.

Would anyone be able to point me to the correct driver I should be installing for the CDC device?

Thanks!

[EDIT]

Something I forgot to mention, last time I was working on the CY7C65211A I was using Win7 x64 and now I am on Win10 x64.

Also, checking the event viewer I found this warning every time I try and change the driver.  Possibly related?

usbevent.JPG

Message was edited by: Kyle Trenholm

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

The PID value assigned to the CY7C65211A part when configured in different modes may due to the configuration utility.

This is not a problem as the USB-Serial Configuration utility is detecting it as a 211A part, which is based on the silicon ID of the device.

Different configuration will be assigned different PID under cypress VID.

Regards,

Yatheesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
YatheeshD_36
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

The USB Serial Test Utility only detects devices which are bound to Cypress verdor driver i.e. cyusb3 driver. Please use the vendor mode for I2C/SPI to test the functionalty.

Can you please confirm if you were previously using test utilty when USB-Serial device (CY7C65211A) is configured in CDC mode as well?

Best Regards,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Yatheesh,

I was under the impression the CDC interface would appear in the test utility, but perhaps I am mistaken (this was quite a while ago that I last worked with this part).  If I reconfigure the interface to I2C (Vendor) the device appears in the Test Utility.  However I need to get the device into CDC mode to function with the Cypress Bootloader Host.

I am finding something strange though, according to the datasheet, the PID of the  CY7C65211A should be 0x00FB, but the CY7C65211A I am connecting to has PID 0x0002, which is the PID for the CY7C65211 (not the A variant).

Capture.JPG

Any idea why this might be the case?

0 Likes

Hello,

The PID of  the USB-Serial Device will vary depending on the configuration that is loaded i.e. the SCB configurations. Also, a custom VID/PID can be assigned to the part using the configuration utility.

Please check the device tab in the USB-Serial configuration utility, it should mention CY7C65211A and not CY7C65211.

Refer to the highlighted section in the below image where a CY7C65215 part is detected by the USb-Serial configuration Utility.

pastedImage_0.png

Best Regards,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Yatheesh,

PID can only be adjusted if the VID is also changed from the cypress ID, but I don't think I should have to change either to use this as a CDC device.

I'm more interested in why the PID for the part does not match what is specified in the datasheet for the CY7C65211A, which could explain why Windows isn't pulling the correct driver when I set CDC mode.  Especially when setting I2C (CDC) mode, the PID does not seem to change at all:

I2C (CDC): 0x0004

I2C (Vendor): 0x0004

it looks like in the USB tab, it wants to set 0x0002 for CDC, but in device manager the device PID is still 0x0004 and it is assigning the vendor driver.  Even after programming, then disconnect/reconnect and cycling the port via the tool, it still comes up PID 0x0004:

Capture.JPG

devices.JPG

All this on top of I can't find any mode for this device that uses PID: 0x00FB as the datasheet claims.

0 Likes

Hello,

Can you please try UART in CDC mode and check if the PID changes? In this case the PID should change.

If the PID remains the same at 0x004 then there might be defect in the product. Can you please let me know from where you ordered the USB-Serial part?

Best Regards,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Yatheesh,

In UART CDC mode, the device shows

VID 0x04B4

PID 0x0002

The part was ordered from Digi-Key.

0 Likes

Hello,

Can you please check if any other 211A products if you have shows the same PID (0x002) in UART vendor mode?

Please let me know the version of the USB-Serial Configuration Utility which you are using, you can check this under Help->About in the Utility.

Thanks ,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Yatheesh,

I do not have any other board with a 211A part on it at the moment (this is our first design using the part)

The Config Utility version is 2.0.3.120

0 Likes

Hello,

The PID value assigned to the CY7C65211A part when configured in different modes may due to the configuration utility.

This is not a problem as the USB-Serial Configuration utility is detecting it as a 211A part, which is based on the silicon ID of the device.

Different configuration will be assigned different PID under cypress VID.

Regards,

Yatheesh

0 Likes