asking for the best Cypress USB interface IC or MCU that has SW selection feature on USB hub design

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
benkim
Level 3
Level 3
Distributor - AVNET
First like received 50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins

Hello Team Cypress,

My team and I are looking in order either to find a helper IC or to replace an USB interface IC that goes into Voice recorder project with USB Hub from one of our clients' design.

Is there a particular Cypress MCU or USB interface IC that comes with the following features in the description?

Current USB hub design from the client is with Microchip USB2422/MJ USB interface IC + physical switch.

USB2422 Data Sheet (microchip.com)

The physical switch is installed to make selections on connected the devices on the hub, in order to make only the selected device to be updated with firmware. In the next design, the design team wishes to drop the physical switch from the design, and use USB interface IC comes with the logical or software switch feature to make the selection and help the update.

For the next design, after Cypress USB interface IC from the USB hub reads the device host data and by recognizing the the device's usb data bus, the Cypress USB interface IC automatically can identify the connected device and enables either the Data or the Power line connection to the device. When the connection is established, if there is the software command to update on only the certain device to port firmware update, the firmware would only be written to the selected device.

Is there a Cypress MCU or USB interface IC that can help the software device selection feature?
Or is there a Cypress USB interface IC that comes with such selection feature?

Target device is for the running project that is under mass production, but for the next design, the client's design team wishes either to replace or to add the the Cypress USB interface IC or MCU model if the described feature is available.

If you can find the suitable Cypress model that has the features, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you always.

Sincerely,
Ben.

0 Likes
1 Solution
MallikaK_22
50 likes received 750 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Could you please provide more details about the hardware setup i.e what usb speed and usb type is required for the hub IC? Please provide a block diagram.

Meanwhile you can take a look at HX3PD hub controller: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/datasheets/cyusb4347cyusb4357-hx3pd-usb-31-gen-2-type-c-hub-pd

HX3PD includes a Dock Management Controller (DMC). It has the capability to do firmware update to externally interfaced peripherals with the dock. 

You might also refer to Chapter 4: Firmware Update in the CCG4 Dock Reference Design Guide: https://www.cypress.com/file/387471/download

This sections explains how DMC updates the firmware for the selected devices which are interfaced with the dock.

Regards,

Mallika

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
MallikaK_22

Hi,

Could you please provide more details about the hardware setup i.e what usb speed and usb type is required for the hub IC? Please provide a block diagram.

Meanwhile you can take a look at HX3PD hub controller: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/datasheets/cyusb4347cyusb4357-hx3pd-usb-31-gen-2-type-c-hub-pd

HX3PD includes a Dock Management Controller (DMC). It has the capability to do firmware update to externally interfaced peripherals with the dock. 

You might also refer to Chapter 4: Firmware Update in the CCG4 Dock Reference Design Guide: https://www.cypress.com/file/387471/download

This sections explains how DMC updates the firmware for the selected devices which are interfaced with the dock.

Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes
benkim
Level 3
Level 3
Distributor - AVNET

Hello MallikaK_22,

Thank you for your reply. May I use HX3PD for the solution?
Can HX3PD  be used for the features that the CCG4 Doc Reference Design chapter 4 covers? 

The USB design's  speed is required to be USB 2.0 and above, and the type of USB port is USB-C type.

I will check if there is the block diagram available for the design now.

Thank you for your suggestion and if you can confirm that HX3PD can be used for the use, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for your insight and help.

Sincerely,

Ben. 

0 Likes
MallikaK_22

Hi Ben,

Yes, HX3PD also includes DMC for firmware updates. Kindly refer to Chapter 3 in HX3PD Configuration Utility Guide to understand the firmware update process.

Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes
benkim
Level 3
Level 3
Distributor - AVNET

Sorry Mallika. I just saw what HX3PD looks like. It is a full size hub.

Here, I am looking for USB interface IC, like usb2422/MJ,
that has software/logic switch feature added to the IC so that it would help firmware update
on the selected devices.

HX3PD is a hub, not an IC. 

0 Likes
MallikaK_22

Hi,

Apologies for the delay in response.

Please take a look at the DMC datasheet: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/datasheets/cy7c65219-dock-management-controller-dmc 

0 Likes