Where to download the Utility Blaster tool for HX2VL devices?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KaLu_4835526
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking for the Utility Blaster tool in order to program an EEPROM connected to a CY7C65642 hub chip, which is a HX2VL device. The only Blaster I can find is the Blaster Plus for HX3 devices but it does not see my device. What I need to do is to increase the MaxPower setting which by default is 100mA. As I understand, there is no other way to do it other than connecting an EEPROM to the hub chip.

If there exists a Linux tool for this purpose, that would be even better. Additionally, is there a way to run the Blaster software via a virtual machine windows? I am trying to use Win 10 running on Ubuntu via Oracle VM and since the USB hub is not a final USB device, it seems like its existence is not forwarded into the VM world.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

Please find the Blaster utility for HX2VL from the 'Getting Started' tab in - https://www.cypress.com/products/hx2vl

Yes, the maximum power setting for the hub needs to be done through the EEPROM configuration. This tool can only be used in Windows by binding to the vendor driver that will be installed with the tool.

When you use the virtual machine setup, please let us know if you see the hub or any other USB device present in Windows device manager.

Best Regards,

Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

Please find the Blaster utility for HX2VL from the 'Getting Started' tab in - https://www.cypress.com/products/hx2vl

Yes, the maximum power setting for the hub needs to be done through the EEPROM configuration. This tool can only be used in Windows by binding to the vendor driver that will be installed with the tool.

When you use the virtual machine setup, please let us know if you see the hub or any other USB device present in Windows device manager.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hi Sananya,

Thank you for the link, I found the software there. However, it looks like it is not going to work on Windows 10:

- The Blaster software starts without complaints but does not see the hub device connected.

- Windows refuses to install the driver included with the Blaster software (which is for an older Windows anyways).

This is with a normal Windows 10 laptop, not on a virtual machine. Is there any way I can configure HX2VL devices using an up to date windows version? Or is the CY7C65642 chip some obsolete technology and I should be using something else? I need a low power, 4-port, high-speed (480Mbit/s) USB 2.0 hub, in a small package and minimum amount of additional components.

Regards,

Karol

0 Likes

Hi Karol,

Please refer to the Tech Support case we created on your behalf for details on the driver binding for Blaster utility.

HX2VL is our recommended USB 2.0 hub and the CY7C65642 28-pin part would suit your requirements.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes