Re: CY6611 EZ-USB HX3PD as a PD sink

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Nilufar,

It should be possible with HX3PD on your custom board since the upstream port can be configured as a sink. But the CY6611 EVK doesnt have any consumer path so isnt capable of sinking current and providing the same on DS1. 

Please refer to the EVK schematic where the 19V power adapter input is required to power the board as well as the DS1 PD regulator.

Best Regards,
Sananya

1 Solution
Sananya_14

Hi Nilufar,

Thanks for the update. I checked internally about the feasibility of your application and the single wire bus powered configuration will not be easy to implement. The reason is that HX3PD is expected to be used in a power sourcing dock use case and it does not have a dead battery Rd termination part to allow for bus-powered operation. The only sink use case we have used in the EVK is for 5V 0A where the VBUS path is shutoff and no current is sinking (as the device itself is self-powered).

Currently, we dont have any reference design with bus-powered configuration and there are no plans for one. So, you could either use a different PD controller on the US port and control the HX3PD mux enabling from the external controller (this will require significant firmware change) or use a discrete PD controller with HX3 and a mux for polarity switching.

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Nilu
Level 1
Level 1
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins

Thank you for your reply. I will review the schematic.

Along the same line, do you have any other evaluation board which has a US port with consumer path and configurability for PD sink application?

Thanks,

Nilufar

0 Likes
Nilu
Level 1
Level 1
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins

Hi Sananya,

I reviewed the EZ-USB HX3PD Hardware Design Guidelines and Checklist  and CY6611 schematic carefully. I did not see any instruction about configuring US port as a PD sink. 

Would you please give me an insight on how to implement this feature? 

Thanks,

Nilufar

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi Nilufar,

The US port is configured by default as a DRP in the CY6611 configuration so it can be a source or sink depending on the connected host. You could set the same using the HX3PD Configuration Utility with the required sink PDOs, please refer to section 3.2.1 in the utility User Guide for more details.

We dont have any other EVK with a PD capable hub controller which would allow the DS port to charge from the US port. But you could refer to the CCG3 Charge Through Dongle Design which allows the host to power the board and one DS port in bus-powered mode i.e. when there is no adapter connected on the Type-C port.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Dear Sananya,

Thank you for your reply.  

Given that US port is configured by default as DRP in the CY6611 configuration, if I connect US port to a laptop with PD capability, would it work without external 19V power supply? 

I would like to clarify that I don't need to charge DS port from US port. I would like to configure US port to provide 20V, 5A to the hub circuit so that my USB hub can operate without connecting to 19V adaptor. Please confirm if this is possible? 

Right now, when I disconnect 19V, the EVK stops working even when connected to a laptop with PD capability. 

Thanks,

Nilufar

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Sananya_14

Hi Nilufar,

No, I dont think that would be possible because the board also requires the 19V supply from DC jack/terminal to power on so it wont be able to operate with the VBUS from the notebook. This is because the VBUS from the Type-C connector is only an output from the US PD regulator but not connected as an input supply to any of the regulators on the board.

Please refer to the attached block diagram from the EVK schematic.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Hi Sananya, 

Thanks for your reply. It helps me to understand the limitation of CY6611 on PD clearly. 

Given that US port is configured as DRP, can I connect VBUS to regulator on my custom PCB and use US port as a PD sink?

Thanks,

Nilufar 

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi Nilufar,

Yes, its possible to add the VBUS consumer path on your custom board and add PFETs with external gate driver FET as done for provider path in the EVK. Could you please provide more details of your application- is it a dongle application and how would be the PD DS1 port be powered?

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Hi Sananya,

For this application, we are designing a custom PCB to integrate USB hub with a circuit that powers a servo motor (Dynamixel). Servo motor requires 12V, 4A.  We would like to provide three options for powering servo motor: 1) external switching power supply (20V power adaptor), 2) battery pack and 3) USB power delivery.

We intend to design our USB hub based on the USB hub design for CY6611 EVK. Two USB DS ports will connect to Intel RealSense cameras and will transfer data on USB 3.1 Gen 1. We would like to have two additional USB DS port for future use.

For the USB power delivery, we would like to connect US port to a computer unit that has power delivery capability. The idea is to power USB hub and servo through USB  PD sink on upstream facing port to implement single wire topology (one USB to computer, no additional power wire).

Please let  me know if you have any other question.

Thanks,

Nilufar 

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi Nilufar,

Thanks for the update. I checked internally about the feasibility of your application and the single wire bus powered configuration will not be easy to implement. The reason is that HX3PD is expected to be used in a power sourcing dock use case and it does not have a dead battery Rd termination part to allow for bus-powered operation. The only sink use case we have used in the EVK is for 5V 0A where the VBUS path is shutoff and no current is sinking (as the device itself is self-powered).

Currently, we dont have any reference design with bus-powered configuration and there are no plans for one. So, you could either use a different PD controller on the US port and control the HX3PD mux enabling from the external controller (this will require significant firmware change) or use a discrete PD controller with HX3 and a mux for polarity switching.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes