Does CYUSB4357 Type-c HUB support DP multiplexing function?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
dogu_4340491
Level 1
Level 1

Standard type-c interface with two pins SBU1 and SBU2? The USB 3.1 Gen 2 / Display Port 1.4 crossover switch for Type-C can be used for DP interface expansion, but I see the evaluation board of CYUSB4357. The SBU1 and SBU2 pins of the upstream type-c are not connected, and three downstream type- The SBU1 and SBU2 pins of c are also not connected. I want to use CYUSB4357 as a multifunctional docking station. One of the downstream type-c interfaces can be used to expand the DP bus. Can it be implemented? Are there other options? Thank you for your design.pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

Yes, HX3PD does not have integrated USB/DP mux/demux.

You should use an external USB 3.1 Gen2/DP DEMUX on the US Type-C port for making a DP dock .

In your original question, you mentioned about enabling DP on the DS Type-C port. For this, you should add external USB 3.1 Gen2/DP MUX.

As per your block diagram:

- You don't need CYPD2122 to control the mux. It can be controlled by I2C master from HX3PD itself which has integrated PD controller which can take care of this.

- I didn't understand AG9311's role in your block diagram.

- Block diagram is confusing as HX3PD's USB lines are fed into PI3USB31532 and DP & USB lines are taken out from there.

Block diagram on HX3PD datasheet given clear picture of a DP dock except that DS1 does not support DP. However, this can be achieved by adding a MUX. You can refer CCG4 dock for this portion alone.

Regards,

Muthu

PI3USB31532

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

Currently we dont have a firmware that supports DP interface on HX3PD. However it can be implemented and may be included in the future releases. Please take a look at this KBA for comparing our other solutions-Comparison of Cypress USB Type-C Hubs and Docks – KBA225754

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

HX3PD does not support the cross-multiplexing of the DP protocol. If I use a multiplexer switch on the upstream TYPE-C port of the HX3PD, I get two branches. In this way, when the DP signal is output, does the HX3PD rate decrease? I read the EZ-PD CCG4 Dock Solution solution you provided to me. The following solution is my previous design solution. Later, I knew that HX3PD does not support DP expansion. If I use the multiplex switch solution, can I solve it? this problem.

pastedImage_0.png
I still have a little doubt. A USB-C Dock for Notebook PC is provided in the HX3PD data sheet. Solution, as shown in the figure, is the DP expansion method of this solution the solution I mentioned above using the multiplex switch, please answer it, thank you.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Hi,

Yes, HX3PD does not have integrated USB/DP mux/demux.

You should use an external USB 3.1 Gen2/DP DEMUX on the US Type-C port for making a DP dock .

In your original question, you mentioned about enabling DP on the DS Type-C port. For this, you should add external USB 3.1 Gen2/DP MUX.

As per your block diagram:

- You don't need CYPD2122 to control the mux. It can be controlled by I2C master from HX3PD itself which has integrated PD controller which can take care of this.

- I didn't understand AG9311's role in your block diagram.

- Block diagram is confusing as HX3PD's USB lines are fed into PI3USB31532 and DP & USB lines are taken out from there.

Block diagram on HX3PD datasheet given clear picture of a DP dock except that DS1 does not support DP. However, this can be achieved by adding a MUX. You can refer CCG4 dock for this portion alone.

Regards,

Muthu

PI3USB31532

0 Likes