Configure DS-1 port on CY6611 EZ-USB HX3PD EVK

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
kaursugr_485495
Level 2
Level 2
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hi everyone,

I want to configure the DS-1 port of CY611 EZ-USB HX3PD EVK to supply 12V. But when I try to configure  using EZ-USB HX3PD configuration Utility - PD Controller- Port 1, it shows me error - Atleast one 5V PDO should be enabled in Source PDO. But if add another source PDO of 5V, it does not save the configuration.

Can anyone help please ?

Thanks

Sugreev

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi Sugreev,

I was unable to open the configuration you attached as it showed "Loading configuration failed" for the PD controller configuration. The error you are getting when trying to save the configuration is because the CY6611 EZ-USB HX3PD EVK is installed in C:\Program Files(x86) which is protected system directory so please copy the folder onto a different location for making any changes.

I have attached a modified configuration with your required PDOs, please check and let me know if you are able to save any changes on the same.

Please also confirm if you have the latest version 1.0 build 23 of the HX3PD Configuration utility installed .

Best Regards,

Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Sugreev,

Yes, the utility requires that you should have a 5V PDO in your configuration as per the PD specification. You can add another 12V PDO along with that and the negotiation will take place with the highest one if the sink supports it. Please add the 5V PDO, ensure that it enabled and then choose File->Save as option to save the configuration in the DMC *.xml file.

If you still get an error, please attach the .xml for us to check the issue.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes
lock attach

Hi Sananya,

I try to do the same. But when I choose File -> Save as option , it just show me the message Saving Configuration failed. I am attaching DMC *.xml file for your reference.

Thanks

Sugreev

0 Likes
lock attach

Hi Sugreev,

I was unable to open the configuration you attached as it showed "Loading configuration failed" for the PD controller configuration. The error you are getting when trying to save the configuration is because the CY6611 EZ-USB HX3PD EVK is installed in C:\Program Files(x86) which is protected system directory so please copy the folder onto a different location for making any changes.

I have attached a modified configuration with your required PDOs, please check and let me know if you are able to save any changes on the same.

Please also confirm if you have the latest version 1.0 build 23 of the HX3PD Configuration utility installed .

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hi Sananya,

Thanks for the help!

By changing the location of folder, it allow me to save the configuration. Although, I am able to make changes in the configuration, the output voltage remains the same 5V. Can you please give more information about changing the configuration to desired voltage ? I want to connect servo motor at DS-1 port which require 12V supply if you can help I really appreciate that. 

I was unable to open the configuration you attached as it showed "Loading configuration failed" for the PD controller configuration.

Thanks 

Sugreev

0 Likes

Hi Sugreev,

Could you please open the configuration and verify that a 12v,3A Source PDO is present? After that, please create a composite image (.bin) and program the hub through the utility. You could also refer to section 3.2 of the HX3PD Configuration Utility User Guide for detailed steps.

If the voltage still doesnt change to 12V, please attach the PD logs using an analyzer such as the EZ-PD Analyzer utility for us to check.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes
lock attach
kaursugr_485495
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sananya,

Thanks for helping!

Yes, a 12v,3A Source PDO is present. I followed all the steps the mentioned in HX3PD Configuration Utility  User guide. But still it is not changing to 12V. 

Sorry, I am new to this environment so don't know how to add PD logs using analyzer.  I am attaching you the zip file of PD logs if it can help.

Thanks

Sugreev

0 Likes

Hi Sugreev,

Thanks for the update. The HX3PD Configuration utility logs show that the hub firmware update and enumeration is successful.

However, by PD logs I meant the logs captured on the CC lines using an PD analyzer such as the CY4500 Protocol Analyzer. Please try connecting any other sink which is capable of charging at 12V i.e. has a sink PDO of 12V, 3A on DS1.

Please also attach your schematic for us to check if its not confidential.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes
kaursugr_485495
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sananya,

Thanks for replying!

I tried connecting to any other sink, but it does not work. I also checked the voltage at DS1_PD__VBUS with the digital multimeter. It is showing 5V.

I don't have EZ-PD Protocol Analyzer Hardware. Is it necessary to buy that one ??

You said that HUB Controller need to be programmed for the required configuration. I think that part is missing.  Can you program the Hub Controller for the required configuration ? If not, then whom should I contact? Because according to the guidelines only Cypress Technical Team can programmed it.

And about schematic, my team is working on the schematic. In the mean while I was trying to configure DS1 port of this evaluation kit according our requirements.

Best Regards

Sugreev

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi Sugreev,

Thanks for the update. By the hub configuration, I was referring to the PD controller configuration since that changes the VBUS parameters on US and DS1 ports. The hub controller configuration is for setting the hub VID, PID and descriptor parameters for all the DS ports and can be left unchanged in this case. Could you please disconnect any other downstream device and have only a 5V, 3A source PDO configured on the US port? 

If you are using the EVK to test, then a valid configuration and PD contract should allow a higher voltage to be present on VBUS with the default firmware. It would be good if you have a PD analyzer since it would allow us to check each step of the PD negotiations and help you in your board debug issues as well.

Please confirm on your setup if the sink is able to charge at 12V from any other Type-C PD charger.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes
kaursugr_485495
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sananya,

Thanks for information. Do I need to create configuration in the EZ-PD Configuration Utility? If yes, I am trying to create configuration. But EZ-PD configuration Utility is not able to connect to the Evaluation kit. 

Yes, I disconnect all the downstream devices and have only a 5V, 3A source PDO configured on the US port. It is still the same. 

Is CY4500 Protocol  Analyzer compatible CY6611 EZ-USB HX3PD EVK  ? I f yes, then I can ask my manager  to buy that. 

Best Regards

Sugreev 

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi Sugreev,

No, you wont have to create a separate configuration as the HX3PD Configuration utility would launch the EZ-PD Configuration utility when you select the PD controller and save the configuration as part of the DMC .xml file.

Yes, the protocol analyzer is compatible with any Type-C PD port and will work with US, DS1 ports on the CY6611 EVK as well.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes