CY7C65631 linux compatiblity and few questions.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_4012861
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hello,

I have a few questions about CY7C65631 chip.

I need a high-speed 4-port USB hub chip to connect to raspberry pi unit.

My first question is about compatibility with Linux. I am kind of nervous about compatibility issues. Is there any compatibility issue between CY7C65631 and linux?

Secondly, I am kind of confused about programming eeprom connected to CY7C65631. How is it actually programmed? Do I have to pre-program before soldering the EEPROM or is it programmed through the hub via USB?  Is it OK to completely omit the EEPROM? If you can provide me with any compatible EEPROM manufacturer number I would appreciate it.

Lastly, I'd like to know if I can use an oscillator to run the chip instead of crystal. What should be the voltage level of the oscillator? There aren't any guidelines about the clock pins.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

HX2LP can work on a Linux host since it needs standard hub class drivers which are present with Linux.

The EEPROM doesnt have to be pre-programmed as HX2LP is capable of programming the EEPROM using Blaster utility. You could also eliminate the EEPROM since it has a ROM with default configuration that it can use for boot-up. However, please ensure that the SPI data line has the required pull-down resistor even when not connected. Please refer to 25LC040 which is used in the HX2LP CY4606 DVK.

Yes, an oscillator can also be used instead of the crystal. You can refer to the App Note for clock requirements-https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes-obsolete/an49150-schematic-and-layout-review-checkli...

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

HX2LP can work on a Linux host since it needs standard hub class drivers which are present with Linux.

The EEPROM doesnt have to be pre-programmed as HX2LP is capable of programming the EEPROM using Blaster utility. You could also eliminate the EEPROM since it has a ROM with default configuration that it can use for boot-up. However, please ensure that the SPI data line has the required pull-down resistor even when not connected. Please refer to 25LC040 which is used in the HX2LP CY4606 DVK.

Yes, an oscillator can also be used instead of the crystal. You can refer to the App Note for clock requirements-https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes-obsolete/an49150-schematic-and-layout-review-checkli...

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Thanks for the response.

0 Likes