Announcements
IMPORTANT: Cypress Developer Community is transitioning on October 20th. To learn more and be prepared for this change, check out our latest announcement.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB EZ-PD Type-C

chch_3621411
New Contributor II

i begin to a new project which is not same as CY4532 DC/DC using the CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb

i refer to the this blog as you suggested me: CCG3PA Power Adapter/Car Charger (1C+1A) single chip solution firmware customize steps 

and to this blog EZ-PD Type-C USB

the low cost power bank PB-811 using southchip

I couldn't refer to the same blog as it is power bank and design is completly different. PB-811 uses only I2C to communicate with the BUCK/BOOST.

as for my project i use only USB-c:

1) i disabled: BUCK_BOOST_EN_A, TYPE_A_VBUS_EN, PWM_A, PWM_A, PWM_OUT_A and Clock_3 in TopDesign TypeA. or should i removed it ?

2) should i also disable in TypeC : PWMI_C, BUCK_BOOST_EN_C, DIR_CTRL_C and VBUS_CTRL_TIMER ? or remove it.

3) should i add pin 16 and 17 and as D- and D+ in the TopDesign and how ?

here in below you can see my schematic.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26

Hi ,

For your question, please take a look my comments as below:

1) i disabled: BUCK_BOOST_EN_A, TYPE_A_VBUS_EN, PWM_A, PWM_A, PWM_OUT_A and Clock_3 in TopDesign TypeA. or should i removed it ?

>> Disable is enough for project customize. If you like 100% clean, you can remove it from TopDesign.

2) should i also disable in TypeC : PWMI_C, BUCK_BOOST_EN_C, DIR_CTRL_C and VBUS_CTRL_TIMER ? or remove it.

>> You should disable all of them.

>> Please do not remove VBUS_CTRL_TIMER if you would like to make the project is clean.

>> You do not need add pin assignment for pin#16 and pin#17 as for D- and D+, you just need make sure whether the BC1.2 and Apple Charging (If you want to support Apple Charging) have been enabled in the configuration or not.

The Configuration in Ez-PD configuration Utility

pastedImage_1.png

For Apple charging support and co-exist with BC1.2, you need external pull-up resistor on DP end, you can refer Cypress EZ-PD™ CCGx Power SDK User Guide, Doc. No. 002-22136 Rev. *A. Section 4.8 Legacy / proprietary charging configurations.

pastedImage_2.png

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ShifangZ_26

Hi ,

For your question, please take a look my comments as below:

>> Disable is enough for project customize. If you like 100% clean, you can remove it from TopDesign.

>> You should disable all of them.

>> Please do not remove VBUS_CTRL_TIMER if you would like to make the project is clean.

>> You do not need add pin assignment for pin#16 and pin#17 as for D- and D+, you just need make sure whether the BC1.2 and Apple Charging (If you want to support Apple Charging) have been enabled in the configuration or not.

The Configuration in Ez-PD configuration Utility

pastedImage_1.png

For Apple charging support and co-exist with BC1.2, you need external pull-up resistor on DP end, you can refer Cypress EZ-PD™ CCGx Power SDK User Guide, Doc. No. 002-22136 Rev. *A. Section 4.8 Legacy / proprietary charging configurations.

pastedImage_2.png

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

chch_3621411
New Contributor II

Heloo LisaZ_26​ thanks for your answer it's so crucial.
then arise couples quick questions: the GPIO that i have to add should it be Input or Output ?

i don't have CY4532 EZ-PD™ CCG3PA Evaluation Kit

so i can't use Ez-pd configuration utility how do i generate config.c ? or what do i need to change in the config.c because i have it in my project.
is the schematic below correct ?legacy.PNG

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26

Hi ,

1. The config.c can be generated by EZ-PD Configuration Utility (download link:  https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-configuration-utility ). (Recommend to read user guide of EZ-PD Configuration Utility and read getting start of CCG3PA: https://www.cypress.com/file/363656/download )

2. The schematic you show up is correct for Apple Charging support.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
chch_3621411
New Contributor II

I have read the user guide but didn't find how to generate the config.c what should i do?

0 Likes