What firmware variables should change for a 5A output capability.

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm looking at a 100W USB PD application, derived from on the 4531 CCG3 EVK hardware.

What firmware constants, variables, or definitions should I change to allow up to 5A current output capability?

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Ray,

Based on CY4531 hardware, and CYPD3125-notebook firmware, you shall change below items based on your requirements.

1. Make sure the power input of NCP1034 have enough power watt.

2. Change config table of CYPD3125 by EZ-PD configuration Utility. This can be completed by USB to mini-B and connect to CY4531 board. Main change is Source PDO of CYPD3125.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Ray,

Based on CY4531 hardware, and CYPD3125-notebook firmware, you shall change below items based on your requirements.

1. Make sure the power input of NCP1034 have enough power watt.

2. Change config table of CYPD3125 by EZ-PD configuration Utility. This can be completed by USB to mini-B and connect to CY4531 board. Main change is Source PDO of CYPD3125.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The configuration utility settings for OCP range from 20 to 50 (percent).
Setting that value to 50 gave me a high end current limit of roughly 4A max.
In order to get up to 5A, I had to disable the Firmware control of OCP.
I did this by selecting the "Power Protections" item under the CCGx Configuration window, then setting "Over Current Protection" to DISABLE.

Only then was I able to get more than 5A current capability.

FYI:
I'm using an external bench supply capable of >6A, and have tight control of load current.
For that reason, I'm not concerned about damaging the EVK board, and the current limit of the EVK PD supply controller remains active.
The power components are rated generously enough that I was not concerned about overheating damage or inductor saturation. 
The board got hot (but not dangerously so) after running for over an hour with a 5A load.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi!

Just a thought, you did connect a USB-C cable with an e-marker specifiing 5A support? We are running the CCG3 EVK at 5A without any changes than ensure that you have the right source PDO definition.

Do you have PD-sniffer to look into what the cable communicate during negotiation?

Cheers

Olof

0 Likes

I am using a CCG3PA CYPD3174 for a 78W power adaptor. I need to be able to detect whether a 5A cable is plugged into it to allow for greater than 3A of current. I am programming with PSoc Creator. What commands do I use to read the cable ID's vbus current?

Thank you.

0 Likes

Thank you so much for your update and feedback. It's great to hear that it is everything is okay.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did not use a 5A cable.

Thanks for that information.

Ray Bowen (H10 Capital)

Bldg 87/1600

Microsoft Corporation

0 Likes