Unable to program CYUSB4357-BZXC

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
kltracey
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

I have a total of 16 PWBs build of which two I am unable to program the CYUSB4357-BZXC.  I checked all the supply voltages, chip selects , and so forth and everything seems okay.  On one PWB, I've replace the flash and USB HUB twice and still can't program the USB HUB.  Additionally the PWB was X-ray'd in that area and nothing out of the ordinary was observed.  Via X-ray both the USB connector and transient protection devices seem soldered down properly.  I'm not sure what to do next.  What specific signals, voltages does the USB HUB need for programming?  I included my design implementation and screen capture of the programming errors.  What signals should I be concerned with?  I did notice D+/D- levels appear to be transitioning logic low/logic high versus looking at a those signals on a working device where the levels are much faster and smaller (differential voltages). 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

You would need to connect a MiniProg3/MiniProg4 to the SWD pins of DMC, PD controller and program using PSoC Programmer utility with target device chosen as HX3PD_DMC, HX3PD_PD. Please refer to the third FAQ in following KBA for detailed steps on SWD programming.

From the logs for your second board, it seems like the DMC didnt enumerate due to both the images being invalid.

Please try after updating the firmware on the boards over SWD and also a swap test between a working and non-working PWB.

If it still fails, kindly create a Failure Analysis case if you feel that the samples are not working as expected.

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Sananya_14

Hello,

-The hub requires USB 2.0 signals along with the I2C, SPI signals for programming the hub components through DMC. All the voltages should be at the required level on the supply pins since proper hub enumeration on the host is necessary for the programming.

-For the schematic please find my comments below:

1. It is recommended to have a 10K pull down on FB pin.

2. Please refer to Table 2 in the Hardware Guidelines App Note for recommended bulk and decoupling capacitors on the power pins.

3. Please check if the reset timings are met on the XRES_DMC, XRES_PD, HUB_RESET pins as per section 2.4 in the above mentioned App Note.

4. Please check if the PD regulator circuit is implemented as per section 2.4 in the above mentioned App Note.

5. Please also check if the crystal meets the specifications as per section 2.9 in the above mentioned App Note.

You could also refer to the CY6611 EVK schematic for the verifying your design.

-Could you please try increasing the re-enumeration timeout on the HX3PD Configuration Utility and see if the programming succeeds? Please also let me know if the DMC and PD SWD pins are accessible on your board.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

So I checked the PB pin and the 10k was installed.  I was only able to change the Re-enumeration timeout to from 60000 to 65000 and that did not help.  X-rays of the PWB seemed to indicate Flash, HUB, and associated parts were okay.

0 Likes

Also if FB was tied directly to RTERM through a 10K resistor would that damage the CYUSB4357-BZXC device?

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hello,

The RTERM precision resistor is used for calibration of the USB Superspeed PHY terminations while FB is part of the power connections so please connect both separately to ground using the recommended resistors.

Please try updating the PD, DMC firmware (*.hex) through SWD programming and if possible, the hub firmware (*.sum) on the SPI Flash using an external SPI programmer. Please check if the hub enumeration is proper after this and if the programming using HX3PD Configuration Utility is successful.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes
kltracey
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

I'm sorry I would need more specifics on how to update the PD, DMC firmware (*.hex) through SWD programming .  Is there a procedure or manual?  I have EZ-USB HX3PD Configuration Tool and EZ-PD Configuration Utility.  I've only used the EZ-USB HX3PD Configuration Tool.  

I now have what appears to be the same issue with two different PWBs.   However, 14 PWBs with this design implemented work and firmware can be updated at this computer with this specific USB cable .  On the 1st PWB, VBUS_CTRL_P0 is low even after replaced the Flash, replacing the HUB twice and replacing the transient protection parts on the input signals.  On a 2nd PWB VBUS_C_CTRL_P0 is actually high but I get the same error which is:

Starting update C:\EZ-USB_HX3PD_CYUSB4347_FW\CYUSB4347_Composite_FW\CYUSB4347-BZXC_FW_1_3_0.bin
Loading dock composite image file
Verifying hash of image#0
Segment #0
Segment #1
Verifying hash of image#1
Segment #0
Segment #1
Verifying hash of image#2
Segment #0
Segment #1
Verifying hash of image#3
Segment #0
Segment #1
Verifying hash of image#4
Segment #0
Verifying hash of image#5
Segment #0
Opening handle to dock
No dock devices found
Connecting device failed
Failed to connect device
HX3PD firmware update failed

So the parts installed on the PWB are actually engineering samples   

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hello,

You would need to connect a MiniProg3/MiniProg4 to the SWD pins of DMC, PD controller and program using PSoC Programmer utility with target device chosen as HX3PD_DMC, HX3PD_PD. Please refer to the third FAQ in following KBA for detailed steps on SWD programming.

From the logs for your second board, it seems like the DMC didnt enumerate due to both the images being invalid.

Please try after updating the firmware on the boards over SWD and also a swap test between a working and non-working PWB.

If it still fails, kindly create a Failure Analysis case if you feel that the samples are not working as expected.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes