Unable to Test Features of CY4532 EZPD (CCG3PA).

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PrRe_3492461
Level 4
Level 4
First like received 50 sign-ins 50 replies posted

Hello RajathB_01,

I am using CY4532 EZ-PD CCG3PA EVK board Rev 07 to test the features of Power Delivery (Sink,Source) and BC1.2.

I am facing following problem when I started verifying these features.

FW:

I verified the existing FW in EVK is in PB mode as the CC line voltages are 0.136v on each line as I verified them by connecting multi-meter across TP8 and TP11 nodes to GND as per instructions given in the Evaluation kit guide section-C.

Problem 1:

I made the jumper setting as per the Section 5.2 in Evaluation kit guide.

Main board: Shorted 2-3 pins of J2,J3 and J4,

shorted 1-2 pins of J6,

J5 and J7 are Open.

Power board : Shorted 1 and 2 pins of J6,J7 and J9.

I connected a Programmable E-load to J1 terminal, SW1 is set to Battery Input and a PD supported Provider only device to J10 port and I am able to observe the PD contract in the Sniffer. But when I connected a Programmable Power supply (programmed it at 7V output) to J1 terminal,SW1 is set to Battery Input and a PD supported Consumer only device to J10 port and Type A device to J9 port, PD contract is not happening and when checked for Vbus by connecting multi-meter to TP7 node on Main board I observed 0v.

Problem 2:

When I tried to program the CCG3PA controller on EVK board using the Steps given in the Section 4 in Evaluation kit guide. I made the Jumper settings and Powered the EVK using the Programmable Power supply (programmed it at 7V output),SW1 is set to Battery Input.

Jumper settings are made as:

Main Board: J2,J3,J4 Shorted pins 2-3,

J5,J6,J7 shorted 1-2,

Power board: J6,J7,J9 open.

In configuration utility, I am unable to detect UFP-AMA, tried the possible solutions mentioned in EVK guide and also tried the steps mentioned in this Frequently Asked Questions on CY4532 CCG3PA Kit – KBA226613​ document by flashing the default CC bootloader and updating the firmware using the default kit binaries provided also, but still unable to detect UFP-AMA for loading PA FW or user defined FW through Configuration utility.

Problem 3:

Throughout the above procedures I haven't seen the LED1 is ON ensured J14 is shorted.

I tried searching the document reference to see am I missing anything here, but I could not find any information.

Can I get any help for solving above problems.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Pranay.

0 Likes
1 Solution

> what could be the reason behind IC going bad, Fundamentally why is this occurred, is it because of using MiniProg3?

A: It is not due to miniprog3. Reasons could be incorrect input voltage, ESD or accidental output short to ground.

> and what are the precautions should be taken care for proper execution/debugging of CCG3PA ?

A: It is enough to ensure Kit guide and this KBA guidelines are followed.

> whether any other circuitry also gone bad, How to verify?

A: You can make use of the test points on the EVK and the Kit schematics to check other parts of the board.

> will CCG3PA works if I replace the U4 IC?

A: In this case, yes it should. Board is not damaged in any other part.

> and can we use MiniProg3 for debugging or not?

A: You can. Miniprog3 is safe to use for program and debug of all CCGx EVK's.

Regards,

Rajath

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies