USB-C to SPI

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
gaar_3783286
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a control unit that consists of a Cortex M4F, few LEDs, buttons, flash storage and LiPo battery. I also have a PCB with an accelerometer. For now, they are connected with wires and communicating through SPI. When I recharge the device (now it has micro USB for that), the sensor board may not be connected as I don't read it then. Also, during the recharging time, the data from flash (stored while running) is transferred to PC. My question is, how can I add USB Type-C to my control unit and sensor board in order to be able to communicate with the accelerometer using USB Type-C and using the same port to recharge the battery and transfer data that has been stored in the flash? I have to mention that the voltage from sensor board is 1.8V.

Regards,

Gabriel

0 Likes
1 Solution
HirotakaT_91
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Hi Gabriel,

Could you show us a block diagram as an eaxmple that what you want to do?

If so, we can figure out good way to you.

Since Type-C connector/receptacle does not have SPI line, you need to use USB Serial such as CY7C65211.

like this: SPI <-> [USB Serial converting from SPI to USB] <-> Type-C

Also, VBUS on Type-C has to provide at least 5V. Would it be a problem on your control unit?

For your information, videos might be helpful to you imagine the big picture (See [Videos] tab)

https://www.cypress.com/products/ez-pd-ccg3-type-c-port-controller-pd

Best regards,

Hirotaka Takayama

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
HirotakaT_91
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Hi Gabriel,

Could you show us a block diagram as an eaxmple that what you want to do?

If so, we can figure out good way to you.

Since Type-C connector/receptacle does not have SPI line, you need to use USB Serial such as CY7C65211.

like this: SPI <-> [USB Serial converting from SPI to USB] <-> Type-C

Also, VBUS on Type-C has to provide at least 5V. Would it be a problem on your control unit?

For your information, videos might be helpful to you imagine the big picture (See [Videos] tab)

https://www.cypress.com/products/ez-pd-ccg3-type-c-port-controller-pd

Best regards,

Hirotaka Takayama

0 Likes

unnamed0.jpg

This is an image with the two states of the system. I just realized that the USB may be microUSB as well, I don't need USB-C.

0 Likes