Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
skent96
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First like received First reply posted

Hello!

My team and I are working on a project that involves a portable, handheld device and a custom made docking station for that device.   The portable itself will contain hardware that will generate a 2-lane DisplayPort video signal that we would like to output over USB-C to our docking station that will then convert the video to HDMI before going to a normal monitor/TV.  

My question is whether or not the example "CCG2 Type-C to DisplayPort" reference design is a good design to follow.   It seems as though that design is taking a USB-C input, handling the Alt Mode and Billboard handshaking, and then outputting a DisplayPort signal.  We want the opposite - a solution acts as a DisplayPort source to be transmitted over USB-C.    Does Cypress have a solution like this that exists?

Our portable also has a LiPo battery that needs to be charged from this USB-C cable such that the portable is a DisplayPort source but a power sink.  There aren't any cases where our portable would act as a power source that would supply power across the USB-C cable.     I was hoping to use TI's TPS25750​ to handle this USB PD negotiation, but I don't think that will work well with this DisplayPort Alt Mode ecosystem.     Will the Cypress CYPD2119-24LQXIT be able to handle these PD negotations on top of handling the DisplayPort Alt Mode? 

Please let me know if this doesn't make sense and I can absolutely provide more information.

-Shane

anything worth doing is worth doing right
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello Shane,

From the description above, I think your portable device would be configured as a DFP (DisplayPort Source) and a PD sink. As you mentioned, the CCG2 Type-C to DisplayPort Cable solution is a UFP i.e. DisplayPort sink solution and thus includes CYPD2119 (contains Rd only) part and the Billboard device. For the DisplayPort source solution, please refer to the CYPD2122 part (contains both Rp and Rd) based Notebook firmware example from the CCGx SDK and reference design from the CY4521 EVK.

Yes, CCG2 will be able to handle the PD negotiations as well as alternate mode negotiations. Since the CCG2 would have to be configured as a DFP, sink, you would have to initiate a role swap in firmware from the default port role (either DFP, source or UFP, sink).

Based on the features of the TI PD controller part you mentioned, you could also check CCG5 for your application. Please refer to this page for a comparison of features of all our PD controllers- https://www.cypress.com/products/usb-type-c-and-power-delivery

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

5 Replies