USB-C: 2-Lane DisplayPort Source and PD Sink

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
skent96
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First like received First reply posted

Hello!

My team and I are working on a project that involves a portable, handheld device and a custom made docking station for that device.   The portable itself will contain hardware that will generate a 2-lane DisplayPort video signal that we would like to output over USB-C to our docking station that will then convert the video to HDMI before going to a normal monitor/TV.  

My question is whether or not the example "CCG2 Type-C to DisplayPort" reference design is a good design to follow.   It seems as though that design is taking a USB-C input, handling the Alt Mode and Billboard handshaking, and then outputting a DisplayPort signal.  We want the opposite - a solution acts as a DisplayPort source to be transmitted over USB-C.    Does Cypress have a solution like this that exists?

Our portable also has a LiPo battery that needs to be charged from this USB-C cable such that the portable is a DisplayPort source but a power sink.  There aren't any cases where our portable would act as a power source that would supply power across the USB-C cable.     I was hoping to use TI's TPS25750​ to handle this USB PD negotiation, but I don't think that will work well with this DisplayPort Alt Mode ecosystem.     Will the Cypress CYPD2119-24LQXIT be able to handle these PD negotations on top of handling the DisplayPort Alt Mode? 

Please let me know if this doesn't make sense and I can absolutely provide more information.

-Shane

anything worth doing is worth doing right
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello Shane,

From the description above, I think your portable device would be configured as a DFP (DisplayPort Source) and a PD sink. As you mentioned, the CCG2 Type-C to DisplayPort Cable solution is a UFP i.e. DisplayPort sink solution and thus includes CYPD2119 (contains Rd only) part and the Billboard device. For the DisplayPort source solution, please refer to the CYPD2122 part (contains both Rp and Rd) based Notebook firmware example from the CCGx SDK and reference design from the CY4521 EVK.

Yes, CCG2 will be able to handle the PD negotiations as well as alternate mode negotiations. Since the CCG2 would have to be configured as a DFP, sink, you would have to initiate a role swap in firmware from the default port role (either DFP, source or UFP, sink).

Based on the features of the TI PD controller part you mentioned, you could also check CCG5 for your application. Please refer to this page for a comparison of features of all our PD controllers- https://www.cypress.com/products/usb-type-c-and-power-delivery

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Sananya_14

Hello Shane,

From the description above, I think your portable device would be configured as a DFP (DisplayPort Source) and a PD sink. As you mentioned, the CCG2 Type-C to DisplayPort Cable solution is a UFP i.e. DisplayPort sink solution and thus includes CYPD2119 (contains Rd only) part and the Billboard device. For the DisplayPort source solution, please refer to the CYPD2122 part (contains both Rp and Rd) based Notebook firmware example from the CCGx SDK and reference design from the CY4521 EVK.

Yes, CCG2 will be able to handle the PD negotiations as well as alternate mode negotiations. Since the CCG2 would have to be configured as a DFP, sink, you would have to initiate a role swap in firmware from the default port role (either DFP, source or UFP, sink).

Based on the features of the TI PD controller part you mentioned, you could also check CCG5 for your application. Please refer to this page for a comparison of features of all our PD controllers- https://www.cypress.com/products/usb-type-c-and-power-delivery

Best Regards,
Sananya

Hi Sananya -

Thank you for the detailed response!  This definitely seems like the right direction for exploring this solution.

Does Cypress provide any schematic review services when designing around these components?   Also, are there any suggestions on where to get started with developing the firmware for these parts? I have not worked with the CCGx SDK before, so I want to make sure that I'm starting off on the right foot.

Thank you again for your help.

-Shane

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi Shane,

Yes, we do help with the schematic review for the new designs. You could create a thread with your schematics or if its confidential, please let us know so that we can create a case on your behalf. You could refer to the App Note for schematic and layout guidelines as well- https://www.cypress.com/file/234156/download

For your implementation, please check the CYPD2122-24LQXI_notebook project and refer to the Notebook Reference Design and API Guide after installing the SDK. You could start by modifying only the CCG2 configuration using the EZ-PD Configuration Utility as per your requirement and then start with the firmware modification on PSoC Creator 3.3.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi Sananya - 

Thank you for the additional information.   We'd like to develop off of the CYPD2122-24LQXI_notebook example that you listed, but we'd like to use the UFBGA package of the CYPD2122.   That would be the CYPD2122-20FNXI.    When we open the recommended project in the EZ-PD Configuration Utility, we can only see two part numbers listed under the "Device Parameters" tab and neither are the part number that we're looking for.    Is it possible to manipulate this project to utilize this part?

Will this BGA part number that we're looking to use work for our DFP and PD sink application?   

We are also having trouble locating the "Notebook Reference Design and API Guide" that you mentioned above.  Can you provide a more detailed explanation for where we can find that?

The project that we are working on is confidential, so it would be wonderful if you could create a case on our behalf. I'd like to start sharing more interesting details about our design to make sure that we're moving in the right direction.

Thank you in advance!

-Shane

Sananya_14

Hi Shane,

Yes, the CYPD2122-20FNXI part does have both Rp, Rd terminations and will work for your application.
However, I dont think the latest version of EZ-PD Configuration Utility supports this part as well as the PSoC Creator 3.3 version recommended for this SDK. So, you would have to modify the project on PSoC Creator 4.4 and also make it compatible for the 20-pin part.
Please confirm if it is possible at all to use the 24-QFN part instead.

Please find the Notebook Reference Design and API Guide at the following path-
<install directory>\Cypress\EZ-PD CCGx SDK\CCG2\Documentation

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes