Type-C PD in (20V / 65W) to 2x Type-C PD out

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaEr_349131
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 50 sign-ins 5 comments on KBA

Hi!

Choosing among the parts in the CCG-series, most ref-designs for PD source applications are using the CCG3, that said, I haven't found any ref-designs using the newer CCG5,6,7 parts.

What parts (or ref design) would be the best choice when designing the following:

• Type-C PD sink input (5-20V, 65W)
    • this is coming from a standard ac/dc like a laptop PSU
  • Dual Type-C PD source outputs (5-20V ~20W each)
    • these must support individual vbus rails on each jack

The two type-c source outputs can use fixed PDO's, but support for PPS would be even nicer.

Please advice, thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

-If you're looking for sink only application, you could refer to BCR and the CY4533 EVK.

-For a dual port PD application, you could refer to CCG4 and the CY4541 EVK. If you want additional features such as integrated VBUS gate drivers, VBUS discharge driver, legacy charging support or Thunderbolt support, you can also refer to CCG5. However, as you mentioned, we dont have any EVK for CCG5 and most of the CCG5 reference designs are part of the Thunderbolt solutions .

Please refer to the comparison table of features of all our Type-C PD controllers from this link .

Please note that these parts currently dont support PPS so you will have to configure fixed PDOs and if PPS is an essential requirement, you could use CCG3PA, although it doesnt support two PD ports.

Best Regards,

Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Sananya_14

Hi,

-If you're looking for sink only application, you could refer to BCR and the CY4533 EVK.

-For a dual port PD application, you could refer to CCG4 and the CY4541 EVK. If you want additional features such as integrated VBUS gate drivers, VBUS discharge driver, legacy charging support or Thunderbolt support, you can also refer to CCG5. However, as you mentioned, we dont have any EVK for CCG5 and most of the CCG5 reference designs are part of the Thunderbolt solutions .

Please refer to the comparison table of features of all our Type-C PD controllers from this link .

Please note that these parts currently dont support PPS so you will have to configure fixed PDOs and if PPS is an essential requirement, you could use CCG3PA, although it doesnt support two PD ports.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

thanks Sananya,

1. about PPS, the datasheets says it's supported on CCG5+ is this a software stack limitation?

2. is the PD stack still closed-source for the whole CCG-range? i.e. how can we modify it to add support for PPS if not supported from Cypress/Infineon?

3. Are there any EV-kits / implementations available that also controls a buck/boost? i.e. the driver/control-software part (i2c) that links the CCG software stack with the given regulator (fixed source PDO)

Thanks David

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi David,

1. Could you please point me to the document which states this since I couldnt see it in the CCG5, CCG6 datasheets?  Yes, there is no support for PPS on CCG5, CCG6 in the software as there is also a hardware limitation on these parts. Since PPS implementation is quite strict on timing and has finer control over V and I, it is usually done with the analog feedback hardware block in CCG3PA with support from firmware.

2. Yes, the CCGx PD stack is not open for any part and you would have to add the complete I2C based PPS code on your custom firmware if you would like to use it for parts other than CCG3PA. It may be difficult to pass PD certification with this implementation so we recommend using CCG3PA which supports PPS by default.

3. Please refer to the CCG4 Dock reference design or the CCG3PA car charger reference design. The regulator control code is added as part of the solution layer so can be modified as per your system.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes
DaEr_349131
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 50 sign-ins 5 comments on KBA

Hi Sananya,

1. What is normally refered to as PPS support is for source applications, like an AC/DC being able to provide any voltage rail out (programmable power supply). 
- In my case, we're the sink side, and even though we can pick from the exposed PDO's offered by the (by user) connected AC/DC, I'd like the ability to interact with newer PPS-compliand AC/DC's so we can compensate for things like cable resistance drop and such. i.e. ask for 10.5V instead of the fixed 5, 9, 12, 20V.
- I
s this supported by CCG5,6,7 software?

2. In the case with CCG3PA (CYPD3171-24LQXQ), you say PPS is supported, but I assume you mean in Source mode, correct!?
- Can the CCG3PA stack also negotiate variable "PDO's" via PPS in Sink mode?

Thanks David

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi David,

1. Thanks for the details. Yes you're right and with our parts CCG5, CCG6, PPS sink mode is not supported in the current SDK. You would have to add the custom PPS sink implementation in your project. CCG7D doesnt support power sink role, please contact the local Sales team for the datasheet and more details.

2. Yes, even in case of CCG3PA, PPS sink mode is not supported and I mentioned it for PPS support on the two source ports in your application.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Hi!

1. so basically, none of the CCG parts supports PPS sink mode today, correct? 
curious why this is, any battery application in need of optimal charging paths benefits of PPS. Please consider adding this (or make the CCG software open-source so we can add it ourselves)

2. So for sink-mode, I guess it's better that we just use a PD phy and implement our own stack to run the PDO vs PPS negotiation?

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi David,

Yes, currently none of our parts support PPS in sink mode. Thanks for your feedback, we will check internally about this and let you know if there are any updates.

You could use the existing PD stack from the CCGx Power SDK and implement the PPS sink mode completely in the firmware based on your requirement.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes