Is there a solution for USB C with DP Alt Mode?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
muaw_4777861
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hello support team,

I hope you are doing well. We are implementing the USB C (from apple MAC) to USB 3.0 Gen 1 hub along with HDMI port with 4K @ 30Hz. In our case we are will sinking from the laptop and on our side we will only get power from laptop USB-C. We have already selected rest of the chips except the cross switch for USB and DP lines along with PD Alt mode IC. Can you please suggest the options that are in-stock and can easily be sourced?

I was looking at CYPD1120 (PD Alt Mode controller) but it is no where available, we would like to know if Cypress has any alternative that we can use?

Secondly, do you have any recommendation for the sink switch? I am reviewing cypress USB-C based development board reference design where you are using PS8742B as sink switch. In our case if you don't have a direct part for the switch then please confirm if your PD controller will support the DP Alt Mode for TI based cross switches like TUSB564RNQT?

Lastly, if our USB hub chip supports billboard then can we skip the separate billboard IC to reduce the board space and cost? Please note that we are using USB5806/KD from Microchip. 

Kind regards,

Muhammad Awais

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello Muhammad Awais,

1. The MUX you are going to added into the design and wired to I2C of CCG3. You needs add some piece of code into the firmware of CYPD3120. The APIs you could add into in the file of datamux_ctrl.c, you could download CCG4 dock reference design firmware (https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg4-usb-type-c-monitordock-solution ) and take a look the MUX control for PS8742B as reference.

2.  Yes, you can program the CYPD3120 via USBC. And you are correct that the CYPD3120 is pre-programmed USB bootloader. But, the CYPD3120 cannot support I2C bootloader, which is meaning of the EC cannot upgrading the firmware via I2C.

3. If the DisplayPort Alt Mode have been entered, the DP/DN shall be wired to CCG3 for Billboard present. You could add a USB2.0 Hub before CCG3 DP/DM if you need emulate USB2.0 device at same time. At that time, it shall not chance to present USB2.0 as USB host. If DisplayPort Alt Mode have not been entered, DP/DM from Type-C could wire to USB2.0 host and present as DFP if this is system design requirements. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
ShifangZ_26

Hello Muhammad,

1. Can you please suggest the options that are in-stock and can easily be sourced?

>> I would like to recommend you CYPD3120, CYPD3123. 

2. please confirm if your PD controller will support the DP Alt Mode for TI based cross switches like TUSB564RNQT?

>> Yes, CCGx PD controller can support it. 

3. if our USB hub chip supports billboard then can we skip the separate billboard IC to reduce the board space and cost?

>> Yes, you can. Meanwhile, CYPD3120, CYPD3123 have internal FS USB block could support Billboard. If you want to keep the HUB in the design, you can select CYPD4126, CYPD4136, CYPD5126 with firmware slightly change the DisplayPort Alt Mode Role.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Hello Lisa,

Thanks for your reply.

=> I have gone through your recommendations, the CYPD3 devices looks great as they have integrated billboard. Also, the CYPD3120 is currently in stock on mouser and it supports PD with Alternative mode so I would like to explore it further before going forward with it. Please have a look on the block diagram for CYPD3120 (we will be using power from USB-C only and acts as upstream facing port), and kindly let me know if it supports by default the addition of cross-mux as marked in red or we have to alter the firmware?

muaw_4777861_0-1617789403181.png

=> Please clarify about the firmware updates. I can see that these chips has SWD interface to program the flash and along with it is also mentioned in that datasheet that the devices have default firmware, for example CYPD3120 has default FW of USB Bootloader. I am assuming that it means we can program the CYPD3120 via USBC? Also, once the firmware is loaded then we don't need to program or boot it via USB or I2C each time? Actually this may help us to eliminate the addition of Embedded Controller on the board. 

=>  Lastly, the CYPD3120 will be using USB 2 lines for Billboard support but at the same time the USB 2 lines will be going to the USB hub. I have added the green lines in above block diagram. Usually we can do it if the USB2 lines are just used for charge detection and we can connect them to the PD and stub along with passing the USB 2 lines onwards to the HUB or any other location. Do you think it will be OK to do so in this case where the USB2 lines will be used by CYPD3120? If this is not possible then may be we can connect it via DNP to CYPD3120 and use the billboard support within the hub. 

Thanks,

Muhammad Awais

0 Likes

Hi Lisa,

I will be looking forward to your kind reply on above questions to move forward. 

Thanks,

Muhammad Awais 

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26

Hello Muhammad Awais,

1. The MUX you are going to added into the design and wired to I2C of CCG3. You needs add some piece of code into the firmware of CYPD3120. The APIs you could add into in the file of datamux_ctrl.c, you could download CCG4 dock reference design firmware (https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg4-usb-type-c-monitordock-solution ) and take a look the MUX control for PS8742B as reference.

2.  Yes, you can program the CYPD3120 via USBC. And you are correct that the CYPD3120 is pre-programmed USB bootloader. But, the CYPD3120 cannot support I2C bootloader, which is meaning of the EC cannot upgrading the firmware via I2C.

3. If the DisplayPort Alt Mode have been entered, the DP/DN shall be wired to CCG3 for Billboard present. You could add a USB2.0 Hub before CCG3 DP/DM if you need emulate USB2.0 device at same time. At that time, it shall not chance to present USB2.0 as USB host. If DisplayPort Alt Mode have not been entered, DP/DM from Type-C could wire to USB2.0 host and present as DFP if this is system design requirements. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes