How to enable BB retimer TX compliance test mode

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KiLe_4629881
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hi, 

On our project we need to enable BB retimer TX compliance test mode for certification, and Intel guidance is that this is done through the PD controller. It looks like there is an undocumented interface to communicate with the retimer in the user defined register space. How do we enable this functionality? 

This is using the host sdk CYPD5225-96BZXI_notebook_tbt project for tiger lake. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
KiLe_4629881
Level 3
Level 3

For anyone else. Revision O of the HPI specification has all the information needed to implement this, and was not part of the specification before this revision. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello ,

The mode you are looking for is RT_EVT_FORCE_PWR_CHNG, you just let EC send command and let CCG5 firmware enter RT_EVT_FORCE_PWR_CHNG is fine.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
KiLe_4629881
Level 3
Level 3

Hi @ShifangZ_26 Can you share the documentation for this command? RT_EVT_FORCE_PWR_CHNG it is not part of the HPI v2 specification shared with us previously. 

I have Document No. 001-97863

Can you confirm this command works in ccgx host sdk 3.4.0? 

0 Likes
KiLe_4629881
Level 3
Level 3

Could you clarify if you are suggesting I need to add a new command to the HPI interface to set RT_EVT_FORCE_PWR_CHNG? or if this is an existing undocumented command? 

0 Likes
KiLe_4629881
Level 3
Level 3

After digging more - I think i just need to set RETIMER_FORCE_PWR_EN to enter compliance mode. But there is not a way to do this via the EC HPI interface.  Can you confirm? 

0 Likes
Kevin_Lo
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 10 likes given First comment on KBA

Please check BKM, EC need to set the Retimer Debug mode register first (0x0048) to CCG5 before setting RETIMER_FORCE_PWR_EN to make Retimer enter compliance mode.

0 Likes
KiLe_4629881
Level 3
Level 3

Hi @Kevin_Lo Can you share BKM with me either via email or private message? I don't have access to this document. 
Is there a document or guide that details all the steps necessary to enter compliance mode you can share with me?

0 Likes
KiLe_4629881
Level 3
Level 3

For anyone else. Revision O of the HPI specification has all the information needed to implement this, and was not part of the specification before this revision. 

0 Likes