EZ-PD™ CCG3 USB Type-C to DisplayPort Cable Solution

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KRingg
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

I've developed a design based on the EZ-PD™ CCG3 USB Type-C to DisplayPort Cable Solution reference circuit (and firmware). One big difference in my design is that I need access to the legacy USB 2.0 datapath (pins A6/A7 on the USB-C connector, pins 21/22 on the CYPD3120). My understanding is that the CCG3 uses these pins for:

1. Programming Firmware
  2. Establishing Billboard (for hosts that don't support DisplayPort over USB-C Alt-Mode)

Is that correct? If I don't need billboard functionality, can I disconnect the DP/DM lines from the CYPD3120 (after initial programming) and use them for other purposes (while still running DisplayPort over USB-C Alt Mode)?

My plan is to run DP/DM through a DIP switch, which will be set one-way during initial programming and another during runtime operation. Does that sound like a reasonable approach? Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 50 solutions authored

You should be able to do that, I think.  Assuming that a mechanical switch won't electrically mess too much with the D+/D- signals.  At USB 2.0 speeds I'd think you should be OK?

In my Alt-Mode monitor application after the CCG3 takes down the billboard (default 60 seconds iirc?  It's configurable how long to have the billboard up) I have it toggle a GPIO tied to a USB Mux IC that muxes the USB signals to a PSoC5 for system control/monitoring.  So it can definitely be switched over to another device.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 50 solutions authored

You should be able to do that, I think.  Assuming that a mechanical switch won't electrically mess too much with the D+/D- signals.  At USB 2.0 speeds I'd think you should be OK?

In my Alt-Mode monitor application after the CCG3 takes down the billboard (default 60 seconds iirc?  It's configurable how long to have the billboard up) I have it toggle a GPIO tied to a USB Mux IC that muxes the USB signals to a PSoC5 for system control/monitoring.  So it can definitely be switched over to another device.

KRingg
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Awesome, thank you! This certainly gives me a high degree of confidence in the design.

I'm going to proceed with PCB fab+asm and will update this thread once I've confirmed the approach.

0 Likes