Configuration of CYPD3120 used in Type-C to DisplayPort

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AnPo_1242621
Level 1
Level 1
First like given Welcome!

non-working.jpg

Hi,

I'm working on board bring-up of the type-c USB 3.0 hub with HDMI display output.

We have used CYPD3120 as Type-C port controller along with PS186 chip from parade for DP to HDMI conversion.

The main difference from the EZ-PD CCG3 reference design is the use of Multi-Fuction Display Port in order to provide 2 separate SS lines for USB hub data and 2 SS line for DP alternate mode. At this moment I have both PS186 and CYPD3120 configuration and programmed but no video out is present on HDMI out.

From AZ-PD analyzer I see that the DP initialization goes well untill SL#33 (see file attached) when the Status packet indicates "Neither DFP_D nor UFP_D is connected".

Is there a chance to get some to get some feedback/help on this error?

Thanks,
Andrew

0 Likes
1 Solution

Lisa,

I finally managed to provide HDMI out by using custom converted to change Type-C receptacle to plug.

I realized I've made mistake using CYPD3120 in my design. I should use CYPD3125 instead.  Is it possible by reprogramming  CYPD3120 to modify it to  CYPD3125?

With small HW mods I could fix the current design.

Thanks,
Andrew

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Andrew,

From the SL#33, we can see that the HPD is low, you could check the HPD from PS176 is assert high or not. If it is low, the CC message is correct.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for prompt reply.

The HPD pin is asserted high when HDMI cable is plugged in.

Another thing I noticed in my design is that VCONN (CC2) is always driven low. I used "Cypress_CCG3_USB_Type-C_to_HDMI" as my reference design and noticed that VCONN is used to power VSYS (pin20) on CYPD3120. I assume this pin should be at 5V.

Could use of Type-C receptacle instead of plug affect CC/AUX signals?

Thanks,
Andrew

0 Likes

Lisa,

I finally managed to provide HDMI out by using custom converted to change Type-C receptacle to plug.

I realized I've made mistake using CYPD3120 in my design. I should use CYPD3125 instead.  Is it possible by reprogramming  CYPD3120 to modify it to  CYPD3125?

With small HW mods I could fix the current design.

Thanks,
Andrew

0 Likes

Hi Andrew,

YES. You can refresh the firmware of CYPD3120 by SWD programming. Before that, the CYPD3125's firmware should change the device in PSoC Creator and re-build it to generated HEX file for CYPD3120.

Best Regards,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I decided to replace CYPD3120 with CYPD3125 and modify schematics e.g. connect CC2 and disconnecting VCONN to allow use with new Type-C controller. Unfortunately the new setup doesn't work. Are there any additional mods I should implement in this design? CYPD3125_mod.jpg

See attached picture for changes I've made so far.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Likes