Can I use CYPD3125 same as 3123 with changing firmware?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ChaseJEONG
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted First reply posted First question asked

Hello Experts,

My customer now considers USB type C solution of Cypress.

but as you know, due to serious delivery issue, they cannot choose anything easily.

actually they asked me about CYPD3123, but I cannot get it anywhere.

and then I saw the post below. it describes the CYPD3125 device to 3123, with changing firmware.

https://community.cypress.com/t5/Resource-Library/How-to-change-device-part-number-of-a-firmware/ta-...

if the post is really working, can I use any devices that is 40-QFN and DRP role, like 3121, 3123, 3125, 3126 with changing firmware?

then I can help my customer in this way.

please check this issue. Thanks.

Best regards,

Chase

0 Likes
1 Solution
YiZ_31
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hi,

The difference between CYPD3123 and CYPD3125 is in the pre-programmed bootloader.  CYPD3123 has a USB bootloader which means customers can directly update the firmware through the USB port of the product while CYPD3125 cannot.

It is easy to change the part number of the firmware but the true question is how will the customer download their firmware into the chip.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
YiZ_31

Hi,

The difference between CYPD3123 and CYPD3125 is in the pre-programmed bootloader.  CYPD3123 has a USB bootloader which means customers can directly update the firmware through the USB port of the product while CYPD3125 cannot.

It is easy to change the part number of the firmware but the true question is how will the customer download their firmware into the chip.

0 Likes
ChaseJEONG
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted First reply posted First question asked

Dear YiZ,

Thank you for your reply.

I got some misunderstanding of the post which I linked.

- It is the way how to "just" change the name of firmware. not changing the whole firmware. right?

If the sentence above is right, my question is as below ;

Can I use CYPD3125 for designing USB 3.0 HUB+PD charging, instead of CYPD3123?

Best regards,

Chase

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Yes, you can use CYPD3125 in the design stage. They are the same silicon with different pre-programed bootloader.  SWD programming is applicable for all CCG chips.

If you already have a completed firmware, you can change the part number of the in the way which I posted in the blog so it can be downloaded to CYPD3125 instead of CYPD3123.

0 Likes

Dear YiZ,

actually this is the first time that my customer considers CYPRESS solution for their product, so they have many questions about it.

here is my other questions. could you please check it for me?

1. where can I buy the EVM linked below? I cannot find it anywhere.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3-usb-type-c-charge-through-dongle

2. Can CYPD3123(or 3125)+CYPD2122 combination support AFC and QC2.0/3.0 profile?

3. I see the DPLUS and DMINUS pin on CYPD3123(3125). i understand that these pins are needed for Alternative mode(display). Should I use it even I do not use Alternate mode?

4. Can I use CYUSB4357 instead of CYPD3123(3125)? cause I think CYUSB4357 has PD control feature.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Best regards,

Chase

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi,

1. where can I buy the EVM linked below? I cannot find it anywhere.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3-usb-type-c-charge-through-dongle

=>This is only a demo board, not for sale. You should contact Infineon local sales if you want to see it.

2. Can CYPD3123(or 3125)+CYPD2122 combination support AFC and QC2.0/3.0 profile?

=>No, D+&D- is used as Billboard Device.

3. I see the DPLUS and DMINUS pin on CYPD3123(3125). i understand that these pins are needed for Alternative mode(display). Should I use it even I do not use Alternate mode?

=>DPLUS and DMINUS is used for billboard device as well as USB bootloader (firmware programming). If you do not use them, alternate mode can still be supported.

4. Can I use CYUSB4357 instead of CYPD3123(3125)? cause I think CYUSB4357 has PD control feature.

=>Yes, CYUSB4357 can do a  USB hub with PD charging. But it has lesser flexibility. 

0 Likes

Dear YiZ,

Then what IC should I choose if I want to use both USB PD and AFC/QC2.0/3.0?

(I think we should add another IC.)

Best regards,

Chase

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi,

CCG3PA support all of these protocols.

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes

Dear YiZ,

I found the reference design in the link below ;

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3pa-usb-cpps-power-bank-solution-us...

Can I use it as USB hub (including PD/QC/AFC) if I add additional USB hub IC?

and I could not find detailed schematic of this design. where can I find it?

please give me your opinion.

Best regards,

Chase

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi Chase,

You should know that all BC 1.2 based quick charge protocols including QC & AFC will occupy DP&DM. That means your hub will not support USB 2.0.

For some marketing strategies, the schematic of this reference is not open to the pubilc. You can take a look at other reference designs. It is not complex, you just need to connect FB pin to the buck-boost. There are many buck-boost ICs that are designed for USB charging. 

Regards,
Eddie 

0 Likes

Dear YiZ,

I understand that if I use QC/AFC, I cannot use USB hub IC(both 2.0 and 3.x) because these protocol need USBD+/D- line.

so I can use only USB PD function with USB hub IC.

please check it again that my understanding is right.

Best regards,

Chase

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi Chase,

No. If you look at a USB 3.0 HUB. Superspeed signal (USB 3.0 TX RX) does not share any signal with USB 2.0 (D+, D-). So, only USB 2.0 devices cannot be supported.

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes

Dear Eddie,

I really appreciate your support.

I will share your suggestion with my customer, and reply if I have another question.

Best regards,

Chase

0 Likes