Can CCG2 accept less current than advertised?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MiMu_4671456
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to configure CCG2 such that it requires 20V/5A but also accepts e.g. 20V/3A or 20V/1.2A if only so much is available from the source?

Is there any documentation of all the software features that can be tweaked using the EZ-PD utility?

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Michael,

For the Ez-PD configuration utility, you could refer user guide of Ez-PD configuration utility to enable and disable the features you needs.

http://www.cypress.com/file/183686/download

Meanwhile,  if you want to add multiple PDOs of the same voltage in the firmware with Ez-PD configuration Utility, you need enable below setting in Ez-PD configuration Utility.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Michael,

For the Ez-PD configuration utility, you could refer user guide of Ez-PD configuration utility to enable and disable the features you needs.

http://www.cypress.com/file/183686/download

Meanwhile,  if you want to add multiple PDOs of the same voltage in the firmware with Ez-PD configuration Utility, you need enable below setting in Ez-PD configuration Utility.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Thank you very much. After studying the manual unfortunately some points remain unclear:

What does the parameter CCGx --> Port 0 --> Port Information --> Current level do? Why is this parameter limited to 3A when 5A(100W) can be configured in the PDOs?

Do I use Notebook or Generic type when configuring CCG2? We develop a camera-like device with built-in battery that is typically connected to a host for USB2.0-communication or power source to charge the battery but in limited cases may also power other accessories. I cannot seem to create a configuration that includes the UFP VDOs listed in the manual.

Which product variant would I use for this anyway? The tablet BGA one?

Is there a way for a microcontroller to read out which PDO was selected? e.g. if I want to be able to charge from 20V but support both 100W and 30W supplies (20V/5A, 20V/1.5A) will the microcontroller know the capabilities of the source?

What is the "give back" ability that can be enabled? I cannot find any information on this in the manual or USB-PD specification.

I cannot find any information on the battery PDO option listed in chapter 4.1.12. Is it possible to attach a battery directly to VBUS and use a PPS supply as charger?

0 Likes

Hi Michael,

Kindly refer my comments as below:

1. What does the parameter CCGx --> Port 0 --> Port Information --> Current level do? Why is this parameter limited to 3A when 5A(100W) can be configured in the PDOs?

>> This is for Type-C specification. It is not relates to any source PDOs. You can use 5A on source PDO.

2. Do I use Notebook or Generic type when configuring CCG2?

>> Both of them is fine to your design.

3. Is there a way for a microcontroller to read out which PDO was selected?

>> CCG2 knew which PDO was selected. The request send as per the way defined in file pdo.c, you could change it if you have any difference idea. The default select way is: Select the PDO from MAX power from source cap and select Max current if the power is equal in same source PDOs.

4. What is the "give back" ability that can be enabled?

>> Refer PD2.0 SPEC as below:

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

5. Is it possible to attach a battery directly to VBUS and use a PPS supply as charger?

>> It is possible.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes