CYPD3177 - OK to leave resistor divider networks floating when using HPI?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
grayolson
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First question asked Welcome!

Hi.

I have an application where I want to configure multiple PDOs on the CYPD3177 chip. I see that this is possible using the HPI over I2C. I already have an external MCU in my application that I can use to do this so this is not a problem. If I am planning to do this, is it okay to leave the configuration pins that are usually connected to a resistor divider network (VBUS_MIN, VBUS_MAX, etc.) not connected/floating?

Thanks,
Gray

1 Solution
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

BCR firmware samples VBUS_MIN, VBUS_MAX, ISNK_FINE and ISNK_COURSE voltages on every iteration and update Sink PDO accordingly. Therefore it is not recommended to let these pins floating even though the PDO setting is overwritten using HPI.

Do set it to some default configuration using resistor dividers and overwrite it using HPI as required.

Best regards,
Pranava

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

BCR firmware samples VBUS_MIN, VBUS_MAX, ISNK_FINE and ISNK_COURSE voltages on every iteration and update Sink PDO accordingly. Therefore it is not recommended to let these pins floating even though the PDO setting is overwritten using HPI.

Do set it to some default configuration using resistor dividers and overwrite it using HPI as required.

Best regards,
Pranava