CYPD3171 (CY4532) charging problem.

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_4340301
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cypress,

I have a problem with CYPD3171 evaluation board (CY4532), because it doesn't charge battery connected to it (2S Li-Ion). Firmware which I use: "CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb_3_3_0_1882_0_0_0_pb.cyacd" (uploaded via EZ-PD Configuration Utility). Device as source works correctly, but when I connect any adapted (via USBC) no current is flowing to battery. I measure some votlages and:
- SC8802_DIR is low while adapter connected (so ok),

- SC8802_EN is low while adapter connected (so ok),

- voltage at TP14 is 5V while adapter connected (so voltage on VBUS_P is present),

- jumpers on main board: J2, J3, J4 - 2-3, J6 - 1-2, J5, J7 not connected,

- jumpers on powerboard: J6, J7, J9 - 1-2,

- battery voltage - 6.8V.

It looks like the SC8802 is not respect the DIR pin, because while adapter connected, current is flowing from battery to eval board.

Am I doing something wrong?

I am looking forward to Your help.

0 Likes
1 Solution
YiZ_31
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hi,

In order to get higher voltage, you should have matched PDO for CCG3PA and power adapter. You should know the source PDOs of your power adapter then set the corresponding sink PDO for CCG3PA.

Regards,
Eddie

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
YiZ_31

Hi,

Do you have a sniffer to capture the CC log of Type-C port? It seems the PD contract is not estbalished.

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes

Hi,

Unfortunately I haven't. I have only some USB dongle testers (power-z).

0 Likes

Can anyone help me please?

0 Likes

Already I use USB power dongle with simple sniffer features and I noticed that CYPD3171 not respond to "get sink capabilities" command. I tried with different Sink PDO profiles. It is needed to check another option in EZ-PD Configuration Utility?

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi,

My I see your log? Usually CCG3PA PB FW will respond to Get_Sink_Cap.

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes

Dear Eddie,

I fix the problem - hardware one, which was hard to find.

I have another small question - is it possible to set charging voltage higher than 5V (I set different Sink PDO profile and I use adapter with PD output, but MCU doesn't change profile). It is charging only with DCP profile.

Best regards

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi,

In order to get higher voltage, you should have matched PDO for CCG3PA and power adapter. You should know the source PDOs of your power adapter then set the corresponding sink PDO for CCG3PA.

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes