CYPD3171 CCG3PA 100watt 5A Sink Capability with Captive Cable (NO EMCA)

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RaRo_1233086
Level 3
Level 3
First like received 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

Hi,

So we are working on a 5A 20Volt Sink device that will utilize a very short 5inch cable that has high current capability so no EMCA is needed but we would need to advertise (mimic)  the 5A Cable response on the CC lines in PSoC

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi,

It is technically possible to do this but requires a lot of re-work on the firmware. Hence the appropriate answer would be that this response is not supported by the current firmware.

Regards,

Rajath

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
RaRo_1233086
Level 3
Level 3
First like received 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

dpm_update_def_cable_cap()

can we use this or is this reserved for SRC only

0 Likes
chch_3621411
Level 4
Level 4
First like given

hey the sorry for botthering you question caught my attetion, as you are 5A sink device i was wondering how do handle the heat ?
i mean how big is your PCB trace width ?
i tried online online calculator and it gives me really huge trace width that can't be possible to use in project as it is a small pcb

0 Likes

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ccg1-type-c-legacy-usb-device-cable-paddle-c...

Here is a good example of an EMCA cable design PCB that has up to 5A capability since there is 4 pins of 1.2A per C-connector its not hard to get the appropriate copper size/weight to accommodate 5A

my question pertains to SDK Code not hardware

0 Likes
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi,

It is technically possible to do this but requires a lot of re-work on the firmware. Hence the appropriate answer would be that this response is not supported by the current firmware.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

Thank You, but if you could at least tell us what is missing in the code ... in a captive cable provider the 5A setting can be configured how can same be done with SINK since we have no cable and the C-connector is located right on the PCB that is making tha 5A request

0 Likes

Hi Rad,

The code changes are significant - difficult to explain here. Even if we could, our restriction on exposing stack level confidential code will prevent you from understanding all the changes required. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes