CYPD3125 - EZ-PD Configuration Utility

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PaRi_1293246
Level 3
Level 3
First solution authored 25 replies posted 50 sign-ins

Hello,

Is the EZ-PD Configuration Utility available for the CYPD3125 (notebook port controller)?

Thank you

Best Regards,

Patrice

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Patrice,

If you could wire the I2C pins to a connector, and add a USB-Serial device (CY7C65215) between your processor and the I2C connector, then you could directly test the EZ-PD Configuration Utility. You could also use the USB-Serial device on the CY4531 EVK and connect the I2C pins from J6 header on the daughter card to the CCG3 on your board.

No, the EZ-PD Configuration Utility is meant for I2C programming while the SWD programming is done through PSoC Programmer using MiniProg3/4. Please refer to the KBA for more details- CCGx Programming Methods - KBA97271

I would recommend buying the latest MiniProg4 programmer, although both of them are compatible with CCG3.

Best Regards,

Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
18 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello Patrice,

Yes, the EZ-PD Configuration Utility supports CCG3 notebook part CYPD3125 and you can create a new configuration (please refer to the screenshot below), read the existing configuration as well download the configuration using the utility.

Capture.PNG

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Hello Sananya,

Since the default firmware of the CYPD3125 is an I2C bootloader I assume that I need to install the EZ-PD Configuration Utility on my system in order to configure the port controller.  Can you confirm?

Thank you

Best Regards,

Patrice

0 Likes

Hello Patrice,

Yes, your understanding is correct. The EZ-PD Configuration Utility downloads the configuration (*.cyacd format) using USB commands which is sent over the I2C line to CCG3 using a USB-Serial converter device like the one present in the CY4531 EVK.

Alternatively, you can directly program the CCG3 with the firmware (*.hex format) using SWD programming as well.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hello Sananya,

On our system the CYPD3125 is connected directly to the I2C bus of the processor board.  It is not connected to an USB port through an USB-Serial converter device.  The processor board run Windows.

Is the EZ-PD Configuration Utility can use the I2C bus of our processor board instead of using an USB bus?  If not, what is the procedure to configure the CYPD3125 when using an I2C bus?

Thank you

Best Regards,

Patrice

0 Likes

Hello Patrice,

Thanks for the update. The EZ-PD Configuration Utility has APIs that will send USB commands as per the USB-Serial device, which will then be converted to I2C commands. These are sent as per the CCG Host Processor Interface (HPI) specification to program the CCG3 through its I2C slave interface.

So for directly programming the CCG3 from your processor, you could configure it as a I2C master and implement the required HPI commands. The notebook project in the Host SDK has the HPI pins configured at Pin 37-I2C SCL, Pin 36- I2C SDA, Pin 34- INT.

Please contact our sales team for obtaining the HPI specification under a NDA.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hello Sananya,

Is the EZ-PD Configuration Utility generate a file that contain the HPI commands that need to be sent to the CCG3?

Thank you

Best Regards,

Patrice

0 Likes

Hello Patrice,

No, since the EZ-PD Configuration utility source is not open, you would have to refer to the HPI specification to get the required HPI commands and implement the programming,.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Hello Sananya,

How do I know what values need to be written to the CCG3 since there is no address map and registers description in the EZ-PD CCG3 datasheet ?

Thank you

Best Regards,

Patrice

0 Likes

Hello Patrice,

The HPI specific registers would be mentioned in the specification. For other CCG3 registers, please refer to the CCG3 Register TRM.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hello Sananya,

I still don't understand how to update the configuration of the CYPD3125.  I was expecting to use the EZ-PD Configuration Utility but since the CYPD3125 is connected to the I2C bus of the processor board I can't use it. 

Does the HPI specification fully describe all configuration registers that need to be updated for a notebook application?  I don't want to learn in depth the CCG3, I just want to use it to control the USB-C port on our system.

Best Regards,

Patrice

0 Likes

Hello Patrice,

The HPI specification will allow you to understand how to update the firmware/configuration file to CCG3 using I2C commands and provide information about the required HPI registers for this. You can have a similar implementation on your processor as done in the EZ-PD Configuration utility to program the default notebook firmware files from the SDK. Please have a look at the specification if you can obtain it from our Sales team, it will help clarify your question further.

Alternatively, you could do SWD programming through MiniProg3/4 and program the firmware *.hex file with your required configuration. Please check if you can access the SWD pins on CCG3 on your board. For steps to update the *.hex file with the configuration, please refer to- What is the process to merge cyacd Configuration file into PSoC Creator hex Firmware file to program...

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hello Sananya,

Thank you for the detail answer.

For the prototype phase I would like to use the EZ-PD Configuration Utility.  I don't have access to SWD pins but I can wire a connector to the I2C pins (pins 34, 36 and 37).

Does the EZ-PD Configuration Utility compatible with MiniProg3/4 programmer ?  Should I buy the MiniProg3 or the MiniProg4 ?

Thank you

Best Regards,

Patrice

0 Likes

Hello Patrice,

If you could wire the I2C pins to a connector, and add a USB-Serial device (CY7C65215) between your processor and the I2C connector, then you could directly test the EZ-PD Configuration Utility. You could also use the USB-Serial device on the CY4531 EVK and connect the I2C pins from J6 header on the daughter card to the CCG3 on your board.

No, the EZ-PD Configuration Utility is meant for I2C programming while the SWD programming is done through PSoC Programmer using MiniProg3/4. Please refer to the KBA for more details- CCGx Programming Methods - KBA97271

I would recommend buying the latest MiniProg4 programmer, although both of them are compatible with CCG3.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hello Sananya,

Thank you for the detail answer.

We will use the CY4531 EVK as a USB-Serial device.

When we will wire the CYPD3125 that is on our board to the J6 header that is on the CY4531 EVK the two CYPD3125 will be connected to the I2C bus.  Does keeping the XRES active on the CY4531 EVK enough to avoid conflict between the two CYPD3125?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Patrice

0 Likes

Hello Patrice,

Thanks for the update. Yes, keeping the XRES pin asserted by connecting to ground will ensure that the CCG3 on the EVK is held in reset and only the CCG3 on your board should show up on the utility.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Hello Sananya,

Here are two last questions.

Does any USB-Serial devices are compatible with the EZ-PD Configuration Utility or only the ones that are based on the CY7C65215 ?

Does the signal I2C_INT is used in the communication protocol from the USB-Serial device to the CCG3 ?

Thank you

Best Regards,

Patrice

0 Likes

Hello Patrice,

The USB-Serial parts CY7C65215, CY7C65211 and Billboard parts CY7C65210, CY7C65217 i.e which have I2C vendor interface are supported by the utility.

Yes, the I2C_INT signal is also required for the communication over HPI protocol.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hello Sananya,

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Patrice