CYPD3121 monitor Project

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Dear All, 

My plan for Project type-c monitor:

1. Base on  project example 3120 dp dongle

2. rebuild boot loader for 3121 

3. change device to 3121 and SID from 1D00 to 1D02

4. update config by EZ-PD configuration Utility

My questions are:

1. Am I miss anything for this plan?

2. Currently,  the VBus is 0V on my PCBA , but my configuration is 5V,  can anybody give me a direction to fig out it , thank you very much.

Best Regards,

King

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi King,

-If the hardware is good, you should be able to update the firmware using the EZ-PD Configuration Utility since even the CYPD3121 power bank firmware has USB bootloader. However, you will still need the bootloader .hex file for CYPD3121 to update the project bootloadable.

-Thanks for clarifying, please let us know if you're using any bootloader project for reference.

-Yes it is recommended to have 390pF capacitors on the CC pins. But I was referring to the CC1, CC2 pins of CCG3 which are connected to the Type-C connector while in the reference design, since its a plug design, only CC1 pin and VCONN pin of CCG3 is connected to the Type-C connector.

-I checked internally about the bootloader .hex file and since the CYPD3121 part is mainly for power bank application, we cant provide the production .hex file on the web and it is recommended to use the CYPD3120 part from DP dongle application. If you have any fresh CYPD3121 samples with you, you could also read the bootloader .hex as you suggested.

-No, the HPD signal is low by default on your board so shouldnt cause any issues if its not connected to the DP sink. CCG3 should first have a successful PD contract and then will proceed for alternate mode negotiations where HPD signal state will be checked. But in your case, VBUS itself isnt enabled so we need to check if the device has entered a Type-C and PD contract successfully.

-Please let me know if this is seen after the bootloader is updated in your project? Please also provide the project for our reference.

-If you're building the project on PSoC Creator 4.4, please ensure that the correct ARM MDK toolchain is selected. Please refer to the Host SDK User Guide for steps on configuring the correct project settings.

Best Regards,

Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
23 Replies
Sananya_14

Hi King,

-Please note that CYPD3121 part already has a pre-programmed USB bootloader so you wouldnt have to change and re-program the bootloader. You can directly modify the DP Dongle application firmware from CYPD3120 to CYPD3121 part and change the silicon ID and then program this firmware (.cyacd file) using the EZ-PD Configuration Utility. You can also update only the configuration for the device in the same way.

-Please provide the schematics for your board and the USB-PD logs using an analyzer if possible.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Dear Sananya,

Thank you for reply.  

1. You can directly modify the DP Dongle application firmware from CYPD3120 to CYPD3121 part and change the silicon ID and then program this firmware (.cyacd file) using the EZ-PD Configuration Utility. You can also update only the configuration for the device in the same way.  -------King:  In the beginning I think so, but I was used wrong firmware for reference (the CYPD3121 power bank ) , so 3 samples of 3121 was fouled up by me. 🙂 

2. So, I bought a mini Prog 3 . And --modify the DP Dongle application firmware from CYPD3120 to CYPD3121 part and change the silicon ID and then program this firmware ----King: Just like you say, but I program the first Hex file with mini prog 3 ( there are three hex file & two cyacd file after build, I don't fig out what the different about these 5 files)

3. I try to rebuild a new usb-bootloader for CYPD3121, but I only find the USB-FS with Hid which I can't add in 3121,  so I think the CYPD3120 example has the USB HID function, and now EZ-PD can find a Hid device. But the I can't config & read device due to the button is gray.

4. Below is screen shot about my SCH, pls give your kindly suggestion, thank you very much!屏幕截图 2021-03-12 175348.png

Best Regards,

King

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi King,

-By the wrong firmware, please confirm if you meant that you programmed the CYPD3121 power bank reference design .hex file and this damaged CCG3 on your board since the design wasnt compatible?

-After building the firmware project, the .hex files generated contains the bootloader and application firmware while the .cyacd file contains only the application firmware. There are two .hex files and .cyacd files for the primary and secondary application firmware copies in CCG3. If you want to reprogram the complete firmware including bootloader and the both copies, you have to SWD program the CYPD3120-40LQXI_dp_dongle.hex file.

Since you already have the USB bootloader programmed, you could use the primary and secondary copies of the application firmware, CYPD3120-40LQXI_dp_dongle_1.cyacd and CYPD3120-40LQXI_dp_dongle_2.cyacd files, and update both using EZ-PD Configuration utility. Please refer to section 3.1.2 of the CCGx SDK User Guide for more details.

-Please let me know where you obtained the CYPD3120 USB bootloader project from since only the binaries are present in the CCGx SDK.

-Based on this screenshot, please check the recommended decoupling capacitors to be used from the CYPD3120 DP Dongle design schematic. Please also check the VCONN, CC pin connection if you have a plug based design. It would be good if you could provide the complete schematic for us to check all the connections. 

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sananya,

Pls see my reply below:

-By the wrong firmware, please confirm if you meant that you programmed the CYPD3121 power bank reference design .hex file and this damaged CCG3 on your board since the design wasnt compatible?

King: Just lost the software(usbbootload) function,  hardware(IC) is OK. So I can SWD program it to bring the usb bootloader back.

-After building the firmware project, the .hex files generated contains the bootloader and application firmware while the .cyacd file contains only the application firmware. There are two .hex files and .cyacd files for the primary and secondary application firmware copies in CCG3. If you want to reprogram the complete firmware including bootloader and the both copies, you have to SWD program the CYPD3120-40LQXI_dp_dongle.hex file.

Since you already have the USB bootloader programmed, you could use the primary and secondary copies of the application firmware, CYPD3120-40LQXI_dp_dongle_1.cyacd and CYPD3120-40LQXI_dp_dongle_2.cyacd files, and update both using EZ-PD Configuration utility. Please refer to section 3.1.2 of the CCGx SDK User Guide for more details.

King: Get it, thank you very much.

-Please let me know where you obtained the CYPD3120 USB bootloader project from since only the binaries are present in the CCGx SDK.

King: Yes , there are only hex file of CYPD3120 USB bootloader in the SDK. If I changed the device to CYPD3121, I can't use the USB bootloader of CYPD3120 for rebuild, so I create new project in the PSoC Creator 3.3 for CYPD3121 bootloader and replace the original bootloader in the depend of the bootloadable.

-Based on this screenshot, please check the recommended decoupling capacitors to be used from the CYPD3120 DP Dongle design schematic. Please also check the VCONN, CC pin connection if you have a plug based design. It would be good if you could provide the complete schematic for us to check all the connections. 

King: Are you mean the 390pf capacitors for CC1&CC2? I cancel it because  I think the Bps of the CC communication is very small compare to DP lanes. So, the PD protocol is base on the CC communication, I know your means is: maybe the 0V VBus is cause by the CC communication, I will check it , thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks again & Best Regards,

King

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Dear  Sananya,

By the way, can you send me the original usb bootloader of CYPD3121 hex file? I want to redo the project just like you told me - - - only use the EZ-PD Configuration utility. Otherwise, I have to buy a new IC and read the hex file by mini prog 3.

Thanks & Best Regards,

King

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Dear  Sananya,

Another thing,  because of there are no HPD signal on my currently PCBA, I'm think about that will be a issues if the example program is set to get the HPD signal first than PD protocol. I will solder  the HPD signal tomorrow and try again, if you know about more, kindly tell me pls,thanks.

Best Regards,

King

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sananya,

When I rebuild the project, below information release from the PsOC creator 3.3:

Info: pft.M0077: There is no timing information available for the selected device. Static timing checks will not be applied and digital routing will not be timing-driven. (App=cydsfit)

Could you pls kindly tell me : Is this mean my program will not running because of no timing?

Thanks & Best Regards,

King

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Another thing,  because of there are no HPD signal on my currently PCBA, I'm think about that will be a issues if the example program is set to get the HPD signal first than PD protocol. I will solder  the HPD signal tomorrow and try again, if you know about more, kindly tell me pls,thanks. - - - - - King: With HPD signal will not helpful in my currently PCBA😂 

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

For the "no timing information...", I try to rebuild the project in PsOC creator 4.4, step below:

1. Reference the 3120 dongle project

2. Rebuild the bootloader in 4.4 for 3121, update components to last version.

3. Replace boot loader of bootloaderable in 4.4 opened 3120 dongle project, change Silicon ID.

4. Update components & rebuild.

& I got this: (PsOC creator 4.4, can't build)

memset( gl_usb.active_alt_inf, 0, USB_NUM_INTERFACE);  

- - - Build error: passing argument 1 of 'memset' discards 'volatile' qualifier from pointer target type [-Werror=discarded-qualifiers]

And,

(PsOC creator 3.3, can build;PC can get the HID device & can update the firmware, VBUS 0V)

Info: pft.M0077: There is no timing information available for the selected device. Static timing checks will not be applied and digital routing will not be timing-driven. (App=cydsfit)

A. If anybody can tell me that the pft.M0077 issues will impact the app. running or not ?

B. If anybody can tell me that how to rebuild the project in PsOC creator 4.4

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

King

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi King,

-If the hardware is good, you should be able to update the firmware using the EZ-PD Configuration Utility since even the CYPD3121 power bank firmware has USB bootloader. However, you will still need the bootloader .hex file for CYPD3121 to update the project bootloadable.

-Thanks for clarifying, please let us know if you're using any bootloader project for reference.

-Yes it is recommended to have 390pF capacitors on the CC pins. But I was referring to the CC1, CC2 pins of CCG3 which are connected to the Type-C connector while in the reference design, since its a plug design, only CC1 pin and VCONN pin of CCG3 is connected to the Type-C connector.

-I checked internally about the bootloader .hex file and since the CYPD3121 part is mainly for power bank application, we cant provide the production .hex file on the web and it is recommended to use the CYPD3120 part from DP dongle application. If you have any fresh CYPD3121 samples with you, you could also read the bootloader .hex as you suggested.

-No, the HPD signal is low by default on your board so shouldnt cause any issues if its not connected to the DP sink. CCG3 should first have a successful PD contract and then will proceed for alternate mode negotiations where HPD signal state will be checked. But in your case, VBUS itself isnt enabled so we need to check if the device has entered a Type-C and PD contract successfully.

-Please let me know if this is seen after the bootloader is updated in your project? Please also provide the project for our reference.

-If you're building the project on PSoC Creator 4.4, please ensure that the correct ARM MDK toolchain is selected. Please refer to the Host SDK User Guide for steps on configuring the correct project settings.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Dear Sananya,

Nice to hear you again, at last! 🙂

King: Yes

King: Below show my bootloader project, pls help to check it thanks.

屏幕截图 2021-03-23 093748.png屏幕截图 2021-03-23 093639.png

King: Noted, thanks. The reference design is CC1 & Vconn to Type-C plug.

King: OK

King: Noted, tks.

King: In my memory, I have build the example project base on 3120 dongle, nothing change and got the same "no timing information available" issues.

King: Thanks.

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sananya,

For the 0V VBUS issues hasn't been solved, I have buy some new CYPD3120 and rebuild the PCBA for it (reference to sample design, also with 390pf) . Now , I have got the USB bootloader, HID interface(PC), PCI express up/down switch port (PC), and I also got (read & conifg device ) function in EZ-PD. Everything seems like OK, except the 12V VBUS. I have updated the config of sink PDO, below image show my config. But currently, I just got the 5V VBUS on my PCBA. Can you kindly tell me how to do? Thanks. Have checked that the type-c prot which my PC can support the 12V out.

屏幕截图 2021-03-23 095920.png屏幕截图 2021-03-23 095824.png

Best Regards,

King

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Do I need rebuild the project and update the firmware?  Now I am just config the device by EZ-PD

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sananya,

Or should I add a Rd on CC line? I have checked the CCG3 IC datasheet, seems like there are Rd integrated in the IC. 

Tks & Rgds,

King

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sananya,

With reviewed the CYPD3120 dongle sample project, in the main.c , there are just VBus 5V  program design, shall I need to change the project code ? If it's YES, could you pls kindly tell me how to, thank you very much!  At first, I think with ready-made example & EZ-PD Configuration Utility, this project will be easy or "can do" for me as a very ‎beginner of cypress user, seems like I was totally wrong. 😞

Thanks & Best Regards,

King

0 Likes

Used another way to get the 12V power, VBUS still 5V. But if I connected to DP monitor, my PC show me " Unrecognized USB device" every 20~30 seconds, if just connected my PCB to PC by type-c cable(without monitor), everything OK. - - - - - - It's SB1/2 => aux channel issues? Can anybody kindly help me to figure out it? Thanks!

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi King,

Thanks for the updates. I think with the new part and board changes, you're able to get 5V VBUS and the device is recognized on EZ-PD Configuration Utility. You could refer to the the DP Dongle User Guide provided with the design files.

-To change the sink PDOs, you dont need to rebuild the project and the PDO configuration in your image looks correct. To verify if the correct configuration is programmed, please update the configuration for both the firmware on the device and read the configuration back on the utility. 

-No, Rd is not required to be added externally as it is integrated in the USB-PD PHY in CCG3 as you mentioned.

-The DP dongle project should be able to support upto 20V if the sink PDOs are configured for the same and shouldnt require any modifications to the project. Could you please show me which part of the code you're referring to?

-If all the pin connections are as per the DP Dongle reference design, and the alternate mode negotiations completes successfully, this error shouldnt occur. Could you kindly try with a different host PC? Please note that the AUX terminations are provided internally by CCG3 based on the DP configuration selected.

-Please provide the PD logs using a PD analyzer for both the cases i.e. when connected to PC only and when connected to DP monitor.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sananya, 

Thanks for your reply, pls see my reply below:

Thanks for the updates. I think with the new part and board changes, you're able to get 5V VBUS and the device is recognized on EZ-PD Configuration Utility. You could refer to the the DP Dongle User Guide provided with the design files.

K: OK, thanks!

-To change the sink PDOs, you dont need to rebuild the project and the PDO configuration in your image looks correct. To verify if the correct configuration is programmed, please update the configuration for both the firmware on the device and read the configuration back on the utility. 

K: Noted, I have update the configuration both FW1&FW2. Both FW can NOT get 12V VBUS. And I also update the PDO config for correspond setting from my PD power adapter, also can NOT get VBUS above 5V.

-No, Rd is not required to be added externally as it is integrated in the USB-PD PHY in CCG3 as you mentioned.

K: Noted, thanks.

-The DP dongle project should be able to support upto 20V if the sink PDOs are configured for the same and shouldnt require any modifications to the project. Could you please show me which part of the code you're referring to?

K: Below italic part is copy from project main.c.  Seems like it just check the 5V VBUS,  and I have try to changed the "VSAFE_5V" to "VSAFE_12V", rebuild and programmed IC, connect PC , it's not working. (Even the HID interface(PC), PCI express up/down switch port(PC) lost)

/*
* This is the VBUS check routine for C-DP Dongle. As C-DP Dongle
* is VCONN powered accessory, PD stack's operation shall not depend upon
* VBUS. Therefore, this routine implements this check:
* If VBUS is present, notify PD stack that VBUS is present and return
* Else if VCONN is present, notify PD stack that VBUS is present and return
* Else notify stack that VBUS is present.
*/
bool c_dp_dongle_vbus_is_present(uint8_t port, uint16_t volt, int8 per)
{
bool retval = false;

/* First check if VBUS is present. */
if (vbus_is_present (0, VSAFE_5V, VSAFE_5V_SNK_TURN_ON_MARGIN) == true)
{
retval = true;
}
/* Check if VCONN is present. */
else if (pd_get_vconn_status () == true)
{
retval = true;
}

return retval;
}

-If all the pin connections are as per the DP Dongle reference design, and the alternate mode negotiations completes successfully, this error shouldnt occur. Could you kindly try with a different host PC? Please note that the AUX terminations are provided internally by CCG3 based on the DP configuration selected.

K: Noted and two more questions:

1.  5V VBUS got , if it means that the CC negotiations successfully?

2.  PCI express up/down switch port(PC) got, if it means that the alternate mode negotiations completes successfully?

-Please provide the PD logs using a PD analyzer for both the cases i.e. when connected to PC only and when connected to DP monitor.

K: Sorry, I don't have a PD analyzer.  I'm think about to add some LEDs to show my PCBA working status. Actually, there a USB interface both 3120/3121, we can feedback PC the PD protocol information directly. Suggest add this function in the project example. On the other hand, I'm try to debug my PCBA with mini prog 3 which I have one.

A little thing which I think I must clarify it: actually I have used a type-c receptacle on my 3120 PCBA now, DP Dongle reference design is a type-c plug.  So, I can get all of these functions (HID interface, PCI express up/down switch port ,5V VBUS) just in one direction when I connect my PCBA to PC by a type-c cable USB gen2 (oh, the USB gen2 just have 2 pairs HSS channel, I must buy a new Thunderbolt 3 cable). (PS: type-c receptacle CC1 => 3120 CC1; type-c receptacle CC2 => 3120 Vconn on my PCB)

Even with a USB gen2 cable , at least the VBUS will not be impact which I think. Correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.

Rgds,

King

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sananya, 

I got the 12V VBUS now, due to my PC just can release 5V on type-c port( the information from my PC manufacture was confusion me), same PCBA connect another new PD power adapter and I got 12V VBUS now,  really thanks for your help. So pls pass my last reply and below is updated:

K: OK, thanks!

K: Noted, tks.

K: Yes, thanks.

-If all the pin connections are as per the DP Dongle reference design, and the alternate mode negotiations completes successfully, this error shouldnt occur. Could you kindly try with a different host PC? Please note that the AUX terminations are provided internally by CCG3 based on the DP configuration selected.

K: Noted and one more questions:

PCI express up/down switch port(PC) got, if it means that the alternate mode negotiations completes successfully?

K: Sorry, I don't have a PD analyzer.  I'm think about to add some LEDs to show my PCBA working status. Actually, there a USB interface both 3120/3121, we can feedback PC the PD protocol information directly. Suggest add this function in the project example. On the other hand, I'm try to debug my PCBA with mini prog 3 which I have one.

A little thing which I think I must clarify it: actually I have used a type-c receptacle on my 3120 PCBA now, DP Dongle reference design is a type-c plug.  So, I can get all of these functions (HID interface, PCI express up/down switch port ,5V VBUS) just in one direction when I connect my PCBA to PC by a type-c cable USB gen2 (oh, the USB gen2 just have 2 pairs HSS channel, I must buy a new Thunderbolt 3 cable). (PS: type-c receptacle CC1 => 3120 CC1; type-c receptacle CC2 => 3120 Vconn on my PCB)

I think the only left issues for 3120 project is: "Unrecognized USB device" , 80% is due to my USB gen2 type-c cable, I have bought a new Thunderbolt 3 cable which say can reach 40Gbps speed, I can get it tomorrow, and I will update you the situation, thank you again Sananya.

Rgds,

King

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sananya, 

Even I used new Thunderbolt 3 cable , my PC also show me "Unrecognized USB device"  every 20-30 seconds, seems like my PC try to contact the monitor but fail.  Every time I heard the sound that mean the windows get a new device, and then the "Unrecognized USB device" immediately go out. I will try to change the DP modes in EZ-PD Configuration Utility.

Thanks & Best Regards,

King

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sananya, 

One more question: Now, the Voltage of Vconn is about 1.6V, if this is a abnormal voltage? Within review the CCG3 datasheet, I find the Voltage will be Min 2.7V ~ Max 5.5V , normal will be 5V. 

Thanks & Best Regards,

King

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi King,

Thanks for the update. Please dont change the VSAFE_5V parameter in the code since the device has to check if 5V is present first as per the spec before negotiating for a higher PD voltage.  I will be able to confirm about the alternate mode enumeration on the PC based on the PD logs although it seems to be related since it appears only when the monitor is connected. 

Yes, the USB interface can be used for debugging but currently its not implemented due to flash limitation among other things, thanks for the feedback. Please use SWD debugging through MiniProg3 for now.

Since you have a receptacle based design, please connect both the CC pins from the connector to CCG3 and power it using VBUS, VCONN pin can be left floating.  I think this is the reason for 1.6V on one of the pins since its not expected to be connected to VCONN in a receptacle design and may be the active CC pin for that orientation.

Please also see if the monitor can enumerate correctly on any other DP port of the PC and please note that the default firmware supports 4-lane DP mode E on plug pinout. You could also refer to a similar thread- https://community.cypress.com/t5/USB-EZ-PD-Type-C/CCG3-Receptacle-Pinout-for-a-USB-C-DP-Alt-Mode-E-M...

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Dear Sananya,

Thank you for reply!

Thanks for the update. Please dont change the VSAFE_5V parameter in the code since the device has to check if 5V is present first as per the spec before negotiating for a higher PD voltage.  I will be able to confirm about the alternate mode enumeration on the PC based on the PD logs although it seems to be related since it appears only when the monitor is connected. 

Yes, the USB interface can be used for debugging but currently its not implemented due to flash limitation among other things, thanks for the feedback. Please use SWD debugging through MiniProg3 for now.

Since you have a receptacle based design, please connect both the CC pins from the connector to CCG3 and power it using VBUS, VCONN pin can be left floating.  I think this is the reason for 1.6V on one of the pins since its not expected to be connected to VCONN in a receptacle design and may be the active CC pin for that orientation.

K:  Currently;

1. For CYPD3120,  Plug CC1 => IC CC1, Plug Vconn => IC Vconn+ Vsys (100% same as example) 

I have updated PCBA again, for a type-c plug, new PCB will arrived tomorrow.  Thanks for your link, I think the "Unrecognized USB device" due to the AuxP/N and SUB1/2 connection method, also the 4*Lane connection method because of I used a receptacle replaced type-c plug. After I review the link below, I think it maybe can change the code to get a same effect, am I right?

2. For CYPD3121, receptacle CC1=> IC CC1, receptacle CC2=> IC CC2, Vconn&Vsys floating.  Can't get the 5V Vbus unless I connect a Li-lion Battery on the Vsys. If the battery connected to the Vsys, I can get a higher PD voltage even.  Pls ignore it  for this moment, I want to focus on the CYPD3120 first, if I succeed driver my LCD screen, I will try to figure out it than. Thanks.

Please also see if the monitor can enumerate correctly on any other DP port of the PC and please note that the default firmware supports 4-lane DP mode E on plug pinout. You could also refer to a similar thread- https://community.cypress.com/t5/USB-EZ-PD-Type-C/CCG3-Receptacle-Pinout-for-a-USB-C-DP-Alt-Mode-E-M...

Thanks & Best Regards,

King

0 Likes