CYPD3120 implementation with TI

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
mawaist
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

Hi Cypress support team,

We are going to use CYPD3120 in our design along with TI cross-switch TUSB564RNQT. Please have a look on the questions along with block diagram. (please note that I have already asked these questions in another post but I wasn't able to get the answers);

1. Please have a look on the block diagram for CYPD3120 (we will be using power from USB-C only and acts as upstream facing port), and kindly let me know if it supports by default the addition of cross-mux as marked in red or we have to alter the firmware?

mawaist_0-1617996023936.png

2.  Please clarify about the firmware updates. I can see that these chips has SWD interface to program the flash and along with it is also mentioned in that datasheet that the devices have default firmware, for example CYPD3120 has default FW of USB Bootloader. I am assuming that it means we can program the CYPD3120 via USBC? Also, once the firmware is loaded then we don't need to program or boot it via USB or I2C each time? Actually this may help us to eliminate the addition of Embedded Controller on the board. 

3. Lastly, the CYPD3120 will be using USB 2 lines for Billboard support but at the same time the USB 2 lines will be going to the USB hub. I have added the green lines in above block diagram. Usually we can do it if the USB2 lines are just used for charge detection and we can connect them to the PD and stub along with passing the USB 2 lines onwards to the HUB or any other location. Do you think it will be OK to do so in this case where the USB2 lines will be used by CYPD3120? If this is not possible then may be we can connect it via DNP to CYPD3120 and use the billboard support within the hub. 

These points are important before implementing it and due to time constraint I would really appreciate a reply on these above points.

Thanks and regards,

Muhammad Awais

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello Muhammad Awais,

1. The default firmware in CYPD3120 is not any control logic for SS MUX, you have to add this into the firmware. You could refer the example code of PS8742B of CYPD3123 example code or CYPD4226 example code. 

2. CYPD3120 has default FW with USB bootloadering, you can update the firmware of CYPD3120 via Type-C interface (specified to DP/DM signals.) Once the firmware was uploaded via USB bootloading, the device will be reset itself and re-boot it. The firmware will in store internal flash of CYPD3120. 

3. For the USB2.0 signals, recommend you wire US of USB2.0 Hub to Type-C interface and DP/DM of CYPD3120 wire to DS of USB2.0 Hub.

Best Regards,

Lisa

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello Muhammad Awais,

1. The default firmware in CYPD3120 is not any control logic for SS MUX, you have to add this into the firmware. You could refer the example code of PS8742B of CYPD3123 example code or CYPD4226 example code. 

2. CYPD3120 has default FW with USB bootloadering, you can update the firmware of CYPD3120 via Type-C interface (specified to DP/DM signals.) Once the firmware was uploaded via USB bootloading, the device will be reset itself and re-boot it. The firmware will in store internal flash of CYPD3120. 

3. For the USB2.0 signals, recommend you wire US of USB2.0 Hub to Type-C interface and DP/DM of CYPD3120 wire to DS of USB2.0 Hub.

Best Regards,

Lisa

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes