Announcements
IMPORTANT: Cypress Developer Community is transitioning on October 20th. To learn more and be prepared for this change, check out our latest announcement.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB EZ-PD Type-C

nnguyen
New Contributor

A couple hopefully easy questions. I'm looking to put out USB2 HS Data and (Mobility) DisplayPort from a single USB-C host that has Alt Mode/DP capability. So, I planned to use the CYPD3120 + USB2 hub such that:

USBC_Block.JPG

Is that more or less the correct wiring? Do I need the USB HS lines going to the CYPD3120 chip? (I assume I also need the I2C lines to configure the chip, but I don't have those drawn in my block diagram.)

I wanted to get the dev kits to test this out, but the CY4531 dev kit uses the CYPD3125 and the suggested DP demo connects with a DP Input to a USB-C Output (sort of the opposite I'm trying to do) and does not have the USB HS lines connected to the Cypress chip from the USB-C connector. Can the CY4531 be used to transmit video the way I want?

Thanks for the help.

-Nick

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26

Hello Nick,

1. Do I need the USB HS lines connected to the CYPD3120?

>> Yes, you need, Since DP/DN of CYPD3120 will present as Billboard. 

2. Can the CY4531 dev kit be used to test my configuration? 

>> CY4531 is designed for Power Dual Role and Data host, and your design could be/may be Power Sink Role and Data Device. The hardware of CY4531 is limited on Data Role demonstrates . 

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Can you please refer the following thread,

https://community.cypress.com/t5/USB-EZ-PD-Type-C/CYPD3120-Type-C-to-eDP-monitor/m-p/273947

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
nnguyen
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure that thread answers my questions directly. More directly, for my application:

1. Do I need the USB HS lines connected to the CYPD3120? I believe the answer is yes.
  2. Can the CY4531 dev kit be used to test my configuration? I believe the answer is no. 

Thanks,

-Nick

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26

Hello Nick,

1. Do I need the USB HS lines connected to the CYPD3120?

>> Yes, you need, Since DP/DN of CYPD3120 will present as Billboard. 

2. Can the CY4531 dev kit be used to test my configuration? 

>> CY4531 is designed for Power Dual Role and Data host, and your design could be/may be Power Sink Role and Data Device. The hardware of CY4531 is limited on Data Role demonstrates . 

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes