CYPD3120 for DP

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
nnguyen
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

A couple hopefully easy questions. I'm looking to put out USB2 HS Data and (Mobility) DisplayPort from a single USB-C host that has Alt Mode/DP capability. So, I planned to use the CYPD3120 + USB2 hub such that:

USBC_Block.JPG

Is that more or less the correct wiring? Do I need the USB HS lines going to the CYPD3120 chip? (I assume I also need the I2C lines to configure the chip, but I don't have those drawn in my block diagram.)

I wanted to get the dev kits to test this out, but the CY4531 dev kit uses the CYPD3125 and the suggested DP demo connects with a DP Input to a USB-C Output (sort of the opposite I'm trying to do) and does not have the USB HS lines connected to the Cypress chip from the USB-C connector. Can the CY4531 be used to transmit video the way I want?

Thanks for the help.

-Nick

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello Nick,

1. Do I need the USB HS lines connected to the CYPD3120?

>> Yes, you need, Since DP/DN of CYPD3120 will present as Billboard. 

2. Can the CY4531 dev kit be used to test my configuration? 

>> CY4531 is designed for Power Dual Role and Data host, and your design could be/may be Power Sink Role and Data Device. The hardware of CY4531 is limited on Data Role demonstrates . 

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Can you please refer the following thread,

https://community.cypress.com/t5/USB-EZ-PD-Type-C/CYPD3120-Type-C-to-eDP-monitor/m-p/273947

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure that thread answers my questions directly. More directly, for my application:

1. Do I need the USB HS lines connected to the CYPD3120? I believe the answer is yes.
  2. Can the CY4531 dev kit be used to test my configuration? I believe the answer is no. 

Thanks,

-Nick

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello Nick,

1. Do I need the USB HS lines connected to the CYPD3120?

>> Yes, you need, Since DP/DN of CYPD3120 will present as Billboard. 

2. Can the CY4531 dev kit be used to test my configuration? 

>> CY4531 is designed for Power Dual Role and Data host, and your design could be/may be Power Sink Role and Data Device. The hardware of CY4531 is limited on Data Role demonstrates . 

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes