CCG3PA : info needed regarding CSP and VBUS_IN_DIS CHARGE pins

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
HaG_2273236
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First like given

Hello Members,

We are using CCG3PA in consumer mode only.

Need information on below pins

1. VBUS_C_MON_DISCHARGE   --> This pin used to Monitor VBUS Voltage ?? What is the resolution and sampling rate??

2. VBUS_IN_DIS CHARGE  --> Can we leave this open as we are not using CC3PA as provider ??

3. CSP  -->We are using external current sense to monitor current. Can we leave this pin open ??

4. If we power CCG3PA using 3.3V, What are the GPIO, I2C, and SPI voltage levels ??

Regards,

Harshavardhan.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Harshavardhan.

1. VBUS_C_MON_DISCHARGE   --> This pin used to Monitor VBUS Voltage ?? What is the resolution and sampling rate??

>> The resolution is: The internal ADC is 8bit, and max voltage rang is 0-2V. The sample rate is 1M/s.

2. VBUS_IN_DIS CHARGE  --> Can we leave this open as we are not using CC3PA as provider ??

>> If you are using CYPD3175-24LQXQ_pa_direct_fb as example code, you can leave this OPEN. If you using CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb (You should select this one), you need keep this and wire this pin to VBUS of Type-C interface. This is explained in firmware user guide.

>> The resolution is: The internal ADC is 8bit, and max voltage rang is 0-2V. The sample rate is 1M/s.

3. CSP  -->We are using external current sense to monitor current. Can we leave this pin open ??

>> Yes, you can.

4. If we power CCG3PA using 3.3V, What are the GPIO, I2C, and SPI voltage levels ??

>> This is depends on what's power voltage you have been supplied to VDDD. CCG3PA powered by 3.3V, so that GPIO, I2C, and SPI voltage levels follow COMS level, high voltage is 3.3V.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Harshavardhan.

>> If you are using CYPD3175-24LQXQ_pa_direct_fb as example code, you can leave this OPEN. If you using CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb (You should select this one), you need keep this and wire this pin to VBUS of Type-C interface. This is explained in firmware user guide.

>> Yes, you can.

>> This is depends on what's power voltage you have been supplied to VDDD. CCG3PA powered by 3.3V, so that GPIO, I2C, and SPI voltage levels follow COMS level, high voltage is 3.3V.

Best Regards,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the answers. Please help me get to understand below things.

>> The resolution is: The internal ADC is 8bit, and max voltage range is 0-2V. The sample rate is 1M/s.

[Harsha] ---> If this pin is used for VBUS monitoring, why Discharge function is required ?? 

>> If you are using CYPD3175-24LQXQ_pa_direct_fb as example code, you can leave this OPEN. If you using CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb (You should select this one), you need to keep this and wire this pin to VBUS of Type-C interface. This is explained in the firmware user guide.

>> The resolution is: The internal ADC is 8bit, and max voltage range is 0-2V. The sample rate is 1M/s.

[Harsha] --> If this pin also used for VBUS monitoring, what is the difference between VBUS_C_MON_DISCHARGE and VBUS_IN_DIS CHARGE ???

Hi Harsha,

Either VBUS_C_MON_DISCHARGE or VBUS_IN_DIS CHARGE can be working for both VBUS monitor and VBUS discharge.  VBUS Discharge is for achieving Type-C and power delivery SPEC about VBUS voltage transmit time. For example,

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_0.png

Best Regards,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for detailed explanation and I got the purpose. We are using CCG3PA in consumer mode only which doesn't need Discharge Feature.
Can we disable discharge feature in FW  or Can we leave this pin open as we don't need discharge function in CCG3PA ??

Thanks,

Harshavardhan.

0 Likes

Hi Harshavardhan,

I am not sure why you said sink doesn't need discharge features.

pastedImage_0.png

Best Regards,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the explanation and guiding me to spec. I have a few doubts. Please help me to clarify.

1 CCG3PA  as Consumer mode, to Which pin we need to connect Type-C VBUS out of VBUS_C_MON_DISCHARGE or VBUS_IN_DIS CHARGE pins ??

2. Will CCG3PA make attach and detach decisions based on VBUS Voltage level?? if yes, what is the detach condition threshold level and do we have a provision to change threshold level?

Thanks,

Harshavardhan.

0 Likes