CCG3PA DFU via I2C?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaEr_349131
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 50 sign-ins 5 comments on KBA

Hi,

Are there any updates to the CCG3PA stack so that the device can be updated via UART or I2C?

it's ok to flash it once via SWD, but on the field we can't rely on SWD nor CC to upgrade the firmware.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Please find the CCG3PA power adapter and power bank projects in CCGx Power SDK.

Both CC Bootloader source projects are present within the SDK.

cc_src_boot.cydsn project is found in EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK\CCGx\Firmware\projects\CYPD3175-24LQXQ_pa_direct_fb\CYPD3175-24LQXQ_pa_direct_fb.cydsn path and cc_snk_boot.cydsn is found in EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK\CCGx\Firmware\projects\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb.cydsn

Best regards,
Pranava

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Pranava_YN

Hi,

CCG3PA supports CC bootloading as well as SWD programming. We have no plans to implement firmware update over I2C for CCG3PA.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes

what is your proposal to update the ccg3pa firmware on the field?

it's quite uncommon to implement a full swd host  / daplink on the main mcu to enable fw-updates. 

curious why you have this limitation when other ccg parts have the standard i2c and uart bootloaders in place?

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

Programming over CC interface is convenient method to update firmware in CCG3PA. You can use CY4532(https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy4532-ez-pd-ccg3pa-evaluation-kit) Power Board as a programmer and EZ-PD Configuration Utility tool to program. 

Since CCG3PA part is used in Power adapter and Power Bank applications, the only interface that is accessible in the end product would be Type-C port. Therefore, CCG3PA implements CC bootloader and not I2C as in case of other controllers.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
DaEr_349131
Level 5
Level 5

sure, but we need in-system-programming here, we can not require the user to do it via CC nor SWD...

how do we best get the i2c bootloader implemented? can you provide the source-code for the CCG3PA so that we can do this ourselves.

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

Please find the CCG3PA power adapter and power bank projects in CCGx Power SDK.

Both CC Bootloader source projects are present within the SDK.

cc_src_boot.cydsn project is found in EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK\CCGx\Firmware\projects\CYPD3175-24LQXQ_pa_direct_fb\CYPD3175-24LQXQ_pa_direct_fb.cydsn path and cc_snk_boot.cydsn is found in EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK\CCGx\Firmware\projects\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb.cydsn

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
DaEr_349131
Level 5
Level 5

right! so theoretically we could take an i2c compatible bootloader from psoc 4 or another ccg (which one?) and migrate it ourselves, correct?

0 Likes

HI,

Yes, you will have to implement it yourself. CCG3 has an I2C bootloader that you can refer to.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes