CCG3 Producer FET

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
fb_234573485
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First like received First reply posted

I made a custom board consisting of a CYPD3125 controller.

The board shall be the preferred power supply to a tablet connected via USB type-c. In case the boards external supply is down the tablet shall power the board. So the board with the CYPD3125 must be either source or sink.

The firmware is based on the notebook project that has already all main functions.

Now the problem is that the producer FET is never turned on. I only measure ~150mV.

Does anyone have an idea?!

Please find the attached screenshot of the schematic.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Florian,

If you are using a male connector to connect to the tablet's Type-C receptacle, please ensure that only one CC pin is connected from CCG3 to the connector. This is because the EMCA cable would have provided a Ra termination on one of the pins so only the other CC pin would be used for the contract based on orientation. For your plug design, you could refer to the following schematic-https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3-usb-type-c-charge-through-dongle

On the scope plots, I see VBUS going to 5V which isnt possible if the provider FET is turned off. Could you please confirm that the VBUS measurement is done at the Type-C connector i.e. after the FET?

Please also check if the 5V from supply is at the correct level before connecting to the tablet to ensure that the FET is not being turned off due to UVP fault. If possible, please provide the PD logs captured using the EZ-PD Analyzer utility or any other suitable analyzer.

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

The schematic looks fine. Please ensure that you are connecting to the tablet using a proper Type-C EMCA cable.

Could you please share the CC1, CC2, VBUS, VBUS_P_CTRL, VBUS_C_CTRL waveforms since the connection? Please also confirm that the firmware is default Host SDK firmware with changes only in the configuration such as source PDO fixed at 5V.

Please also attach the PD logs if any activity is seen.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
fb_234573485
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sananya,

thank you for your quick reply.

I do not use any cable. The board consists of a flexible part with type-c male connector that is directly plugged into the tablet. Does this cause any problems?

I use the default firmware. I just deleted/disabled the other PDOs except the 5V.

I have attached the screenshot of the osci. (Blue: CC1, Red: VBUS, Green: VBUS_C_CTRL, Yellow: VBUS_P_CTRL)

CC2 is exactly the same as CC1.

Best regards

Florian

0 Likes

Hi Florian,

If you are using a male connector to connect to the tablet's Type-C receptacle, please ensure that only one CC pin is connected from CCG3 to the connector. This is because the EMCA cable would have provided a Ra termination on one of the pins so only the other CC pin would be used for the contract based on orientation. For your plug design, you could refer to the following schematic-https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3-usb-type-c-charge-through-dongle

On the scope plots, I see VBUS going to 5V which isnt possible if the provider FET is turned off. Could you please confirm that the VBUS measurement is done at the Type-C connector i.e. after the FET?

Please also check if the 5V from supply is at the correct level before connecting to the tablet to ensure that the FET is not being turned off due to UVP fault. If possible, please provide the PD logs captured using the EZ-PD Analyzer utility or any other suitable analyzer.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes
fb_234573485
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sananya,

right - i was able to solve this already by removing one CC Pin, but thank you for your reply.

There is one thing left:

I want to have priority on VBUS_P or better the producer path.

This means the producer path should be active as soon as VBUS_P is available. The DRP prefered role setting doesnt change here anything.

Best regards

Florian

0 Likes
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Florian,

Thanks for the update. Please set both the Default port role and DRP preferred role as Source for CCG3 in the configuration. This should allow CCG3 to try to come up as a source when connected to another DRP such as the tablet.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes
fb_234573485
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sananya,

both settings are set to Source. Problem is here that the connection between tablet and board is always active. 

But the external supply of the board can be active or not. Due to this the CCG3 has to be sink or source. Preferred source to power the tablet as soon as the external supply is active.

Best regards

Florian 

0 Likes

Hi Florian,

In that case, you could connect a GPIO to the external supply and use it to detect if the supply is present in the firmware. If it is present, you could verify the current port role and initiate a PR_Swap.

Please refer to the firmware related documentation to get started at <install directory>\Cypress\EZ-PD CCGx Host SDK\CCGx\Documentation

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes
fb_234573485
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sananya,

sorry for my late reply. I was able to solve everything.

Works fine now.

Best regards

Florian