CCG2 Power Consumer CC1/CC2

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
EnricoOKM
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hello, I just want to ask if I must always connect the CCG Lines CC1 & CC2 ?

The background is that I have only one CC - Line available from an USB PD capable Power Source. Lets imagine I have only CC1 of an USB-Plug connected to CC1 of the CCG2. Can I left CC2 of the CCG2 open ? OR is it impossible to do so ? ( I know this connection is non-standard 😉

THX for any Help, Enrico

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi, 

No, CCG2 is not absolute. If your application works fine with CCG2 and needs smaller footprint then I would recommend you to continue with CCG2.

I mentioned CCG3PA to explain you about the different possibilities.

Regards,

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Abhilash_P

Hi,

The application of CC lines is for detecting the orientation, supplying VCONN for EMCA powered cables and for passing PD contract messages. You need connection on one of the CC lines for type-C implicit contract and thereafter explicit PD contract.

In your application if you are physically connecting the two CC lines of UFP and DFP, then the second CC line is not necessary. Provided VCONN supply is not required for your application.

Lets say you are using CCG3PA for your adapter application and the requested current by the sink is more than 3A. Then both the CC lines are necessary in this application. 

One of the CC lines would be reconfigured to provide VCONN supply while the other CC line would be used for orientation detection and PD contract negotiation.

Please refer to the KBA for more detailed explanation.

Please refer to this link for additional information for your application using CCG3 as DP.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
EnricoOKM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Abhilash,

thx for the explanation ;-), You advice to use the CCG3PA ? Hmm, is the CCG2 obsolete ? Because I've seen that the CCG2 in the DFN14 Package has only CC1 I'm going to use this Type( I do not need more than 3A ), but I don't do it if Cypress will set the CCG2 to NRND ...

Best Regards, Enrico

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi, 

No, CCG2 is not absolute. If your application works fine with CCG2 and needs smaller footprint then I would recommend you to continue with CCG2.

I mentioned CCG3PA to explain you about the different possibilities.

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
EnricoOKM
Level 1
Level 1

ok, so I will do this ;-), THX, have a nice Day ...

0 Likes