CAN't find CYPD3171 of CY4532-EVK main board

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
hysj_4827286
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First question asked

I get a  problem that update Fireware to CYPD3171 of CY4532-EVK mian borad:

First, I uesd EZ-PD Configuration Utility to update FW to CYPD3171 successfully, twice!

Second,  third time to update CYPD3171 FW was failed;

Then, EZ-PD Configuration Utility  only can find one device(CYPD 4126),  can not find the device of CYPD3171!

I'm pretty sure the setting of jumpers is right (because I have update FW twice ).

I also use CY4500 analyzer to check if CYPD3171 is work or not, from the protocol data  packet, CYPD 3171 is still work!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

I can see that in the following thread the CCG4 controller is loaded with MTK firmware

https://community.cypress.com/thread/58369.

Please carry out the following steps in the given order, (SWD using miniprog)

1. Remove any external supply to the kit (DC power / battery / Type-C devices).
  2. Remove jumpers on J6 and J7 of the power board.
  3. On jumper J6 on main board, short pins 2-3 (VTARG – VDDD).
  4. Connect a MiniProg3 Programmer/Debugger (CY8CKIT-002) to the SWD header J1 on the main board and connect the MiniProg3 USB interface to a PC.
  5. Open PSoC Programmer utility on the PC. Make sure that MiniProg3 is detected and ensure that the programmer settings are as follows: (a) Programming Mode: Power Cycle, (b) Verification: On, (c) Connector: 5p, (d) Auto Detection: On, (e) Clock Speed: Default,                (f) Protocol: SWD (g) Voltage: 3.3 V
  6. Choose the bootloader HEX file as EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK\CCGx\Firmware\binaries\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_cla\CYPD3171- 24LQXQ_cc_sink_boot_3_1_1_1458_0_0_0_pb.hex
  7. Program the device. After successful flashing, disconnect MiniProg3.
  8. Use jumper J6 on main board to short 1-2 (VDDD – VDDD CCG3PA) and load jumpers J5 and J7 on main board.
  9. Power the board from DC input and connect the power board to the PC using a micro-B cable. The EZ-PD Configuration Utility should now be able to establish PD contract and identify the CYPD3171 UFP.

Regards

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Please revert back with answers to the following questions so that it would be easy to debug the issue,

1. Can I please know which firmware was updated (cla or power bank) in all the 3 cases?
  2. Was the firmware updated in a continuous order?
  3. Was the jumper set to the latest firmware updated before re-updating or renegotiating using EZ-PD Configuration utility?

Regards

Abhilash P

0 Likes

1.for the first question,the firmware is based cypd3171-24LQXQ_cla cyacd,and you can see the answer detail in here (on the page botton):

Can't upgrade CYPD3171 Firmware | Cypress Developer Community

2.No,the order is not continuous, I tested CYPD3171 in the middle;

3. the update firmware jumper set ,like this:

CY4532-jumper-set.jpg

0 Likes

Hi,

I can see that in the following thread the CCG4 controller is loaded with MTK firmware

https://community.cypress.com/thread/58369.

Please carry out the following steps in the given order, (SWD using miniprog)

1. Remove any external supply to the kit (DC power / battery / Type-C devices).
  2. Remove jumpers on J6 and J7 of the power board.
  3. On jumper J6 on main board, short pins 2-3 (VTARG – VDDD).
  4. Connect a MiniProg3 Programmer/Debugger (CY8CKIT-002) to the SWD header J1 on the main board and connect the MiniProg3 USB interface to a PC.
  5. Open PSoC Programmer utility on the PC. Make sure that MiniProg3 is detected and ensure that the programmer settings are as follows: (a) Programming Mode: Power Cycle, (b) Verification: On, (c) Connector: 5p, (d) Auto Detection: On, (e) Clock Speed: Default,                (f) Protocol: SWD (g) Voltage: 3.3 V
  6. Choose the bootloader HEX file as EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK\CCGx\Firmware\binaries\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_cla\CYPD3171- 24LQXQ_cc_sink_boot_3_1_1_1458_0_0_0_pb.hex
  7. Program the device. After successful flashing, disconnect MiniProg3.
  8. Use jumper J6 on main board to short 1-2 (VDDD – VDDD CCG3PA) and load jumpers J5 and J7 on main board.
  9. Power the board from DC input and connect the power board to the PC using a micro-B cable. The EZ-PD Configuration Utility should now be able to establish PD contract and identify the CYPD3171 UFP.

Regards

Abhilash P

Thanks Abhilash P:

Based on your suggest that I need to buy a MiniProg3.

So,where can I buy it ?

0 Likes

Hi,

Its available on cypress store on cypress website.

Please visit the following link to order a Miniprog 4 kit.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-005-miniprog4-program-and-debug...

Please let me know if you face any difficulties while carrying out SWD programming using Miniprog kit.

Regards

Abhilash P

0 Likes

Thanks for your  help!

May I have the last question:

Is Miniprog4 also support to CYPD3171 programming?

Regards

SJL

0 Likes

Hi,

Yes, it can be used to program CYPD3171.

Regards

Abhilash P

0 Likes