BC 1.2 Source Support

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PrM_1403381
Level 4
Level 4
First like received First like given Welcome!

Hi,

I have checked CCG3PA, Datasheet it supports BC 1.2 charger detection, Actually I am looking for BC 1.2 Charger advertisement, Do cypress have any IC that support BC 1.2 source mode. If yes, Please can you suggest the IC/DVK that I can use for my custom design.

Thanks & Regards

Prasanna

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Prasanna,

Yes, the datasheet does not mention BC v1.2 source capability in thabut since we do have the charger detection blocks present, we can support it.

1. Yes, both the ports support the BC v1.2 source mode. Please refer to the Kit Guide for more details.

2. No, CCG3PA firmware in the SDK only supports DCP mode as a source and it cant be modified using the solution space APIs.

3. You could set the configuration using the config.c file generated from the EZ-PD Configuration Utility. By default, CCG_SOURCE_ONLY will be enabled in the firmware.

Best Regards,

Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Prasanna,

CCG3PA supports BC 1.2 charger as a source as well and can be enabled in the configuration. You could use the CY4532 EVK to test the same.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hi Sananya,

Thanks for the input, I have CY4532 EVk kit with me, I can test it, Actually I was referring to Document Number: 002-16951 Rev. *F, And I found Charger Detection in Page No 4, I didn't find much info regarding bc 1.2 Source advertisement.

After you mentioning that CCG3PA can support BC 1.2 source also, I verified in EZ-PD Configuration utility there is a provision to set as source charging mode, I have few more questions regarding BC 1.2, As below

1. BC 1.2 Source is supported in both the ports Type-C and as well Type-A in CY4532 EVK ?

2. CCG3PA is capable of advertising all the 3 modes on BC 1.2 source, CDP, DCP and SDP ?

If Yes, Can these advertising modes can be changed using user space accessible API's in CCG3PA source code

In the enums I found "BC_FSM_SRC_CDP_CONNECTED", only what about DCP and SDP ?

3. How I can configure the CCG3PA as a source only, For both PD an d BC 1.2 ?

I found this macro "CCG_SOURCE_ONLY", But where it can be handled ?

Best Regards

Prasanna

0 Likes

Hi Prasanna,

Yes, the datasheet does not mention BC v1.2 source capability in thabut since we do have the charger detection blocks present, we can support it.

1. Yes, both the ports support the BC v1.2 source mode. Please refer to the Kit Guide for more details.

2. No, CCG3PA firmware in the SDK only supports DCP mode as a source and it cant be modified using the solution space APIs.

3. You could set the configuration using the config.c file generated from the EZ-PD Configuration Utility. By default, CCG_SOURCE_ONLY will be enabled in the firmware.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hi Sananya,

Thanks for the details,

I need one more info regarding PD and BC 1.2, I have to control Only PD mode and Only BC 1.2 mode And I should be able to handle in run time, Not using EZ-PD config utility.

In function "app_event_handler"

#if BATTERY_CHARGING_ENABLE

bc_pd_event_handler(port,evt);

#endif / BATTERY_CHARGING_ENABLE /

#if POWER_BANK

pb_event_handler (port, evt);

#endif / POWER_BANK /

If I handle bc_pd_event_handler and pb_event_handler  using any variable to control the code flow in entering the respective function, I Will be able to achieve my requirement. Or any other changes required.

Best Regards,

Prasanna

0 Likes

Hi Prasanna,

Yes, you can use bc_pd_event_handler for handling the BC1.2 in run-time. The pb_event_handler is only specific for power bank application such as configuring the port as source/sink, initiating PR_SWAP etc. Please let me know which SDK firmware you are using as reference?

Could you please let us know your configuration before we recommend changes for handling the PD mode? Will you be having both PD and BC 1.2 or either one configured for your port?

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hi Sananya,

I am using CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb FW from EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK, and I have added EZ_I2C communication block, for communicate between CCG3PA and a MCU(FX3),

My requirement is, one Type-C port should support PD and as well BC 1.2, And I want to disable/enable any one mode at a time, by sending a command from FX3. So, How I can handle this feature.

1. Send a command and enable PD module and disable BC 1.2 detection

2. Send a command and enable BC 1.2 and disable PD functionalities

Best Regards,

Prasanna

0 Likes

Hi Prasanna,

Sorry for the delay in response.

1. Please refer to bc_get_config(), bc_set_config() and bc_pd_evt_handler() APIs to change the configuration or start/stop the BC functionality after enabling the macro LEGACY_DYN_CFG_ENABLE.

2. Please refer to the DPM commands dpm_start() and dpm_typec_command() to start/stop the PD functionality as used in Section 6.3.7 in the User Guide.

Please note that you need to have a disconnect when switching between the charging modes.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hi SananyaM_56,

Thanks for the response.

I Enabled LEGACY_DYN_CFG_ENABLE .

1.By controlling the bc_pd_evt_handler() I'm able to control (Start/stop BC state machine).

But bc_get_config(), bc_set_config() are used in case of ccg3pa as BC12 SRC right ? correct me If i'm wrong here.

2. I'm using DPM commands as per user guide and when I call those APIs PD detach is happening as expected but at the same time BC12 state machine should run which is not happening, there is only detach No detections of BC DUT.

Let me know How can i proceed further, Is our requirement achievable or not?

Regards,

Pranay

0 Likes

Hi SananyaM_56​,

Any update on this thread so far ?

Expecting an early reply.

Thanks,

Pranay.

0 Likes

Hi Pranay,

1. No, both the functions can be used for sink as well since chg_cfg_params_t used in the functions supports BC 1.2 sink selection.

2. Could you please try issuing a software reset after sending the DPM port disable command? Please also let me know if you are disconnecting the PD source and connecting to a BC source after the command?

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes