Physically smaller EEPROMs for use with CYW20737

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have been using the BCM20737S (SiP module).

Now we're trying to migrate to using the CYW20737A1KML2G (SoC) with external EEPROM, crystal, antenna, etc. and I'm using the BCM920737_LE_TAG4 board as a starting point for the external components used.

We plan to use the CYW20737 chip at 1.8V.

Physical size is important.

1.  Is the BCM920737_LE_TAG4 board a good candidate for finding other needed components?

2.  The 24FC512-I/ST used on this board is 3x6.4mm.  Are there other smaller parts that can be used instead?

For example, the 24AA512T-I/CS17K is probably the smallest part from the same family, but the "AA" part means it is only rated at 100kHz I2C at 1.8V whereas the original is rated at 400kHz I2C.

If I try to use another I2C 512kbit EEPROM Microchip family or something from On Semiconductor, ST, Toshiba, etc. would that cause a problem?

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Are you working with anyone within Cypress or our distribution channel in your region?  I ask because a chip down design will require that you go through regulatory from scratch (cannot leverage the Modular certification of the SiP module), so the community will not be able to help with that process and someone will need to setup direct factory support (it will need to be approved first) as regulatory is a support intensive and costly process that really only makes sense if you are planning on 200K or more EAUs. Even then, the time to market will be far greater when compared to using the SiP.

The TAG3 is a better option for a chip down design if you end up taking this route.

For either route, I would emulate the existing board and not try to vary component selection as the design/firmware/driver support is extremely particular.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Are you working with anyone within Cypress or our distribution channel in your region?  I ask because a chip down design will require that you go through regulatory from scratch (cannot leverage the Modular certification of the SiP module), so the community will not be able to help with that process and someone will need to setup direct factory support (it will need to be approved first) as regulatory is a support intensive and costly process that really only makes sense if you are planning on 200K or more EAUs. Even then, the time to market will be far greater when compared to using the SiP.

The TAG3 is a better option for a chip down design if you end up taking this route.

For either route, I would emulate the existing board and not try to vary component selection as the design/firmware/driver support is extremely particular.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Mifo,

For this and other reasons we've decided to keep using the BCM20737S (CYW20737S) and abandon the idea of "rolling our own".