Announcements
IMPORTANT: Cypress Developer Community is transitioning on October 20th. To learn more and be prepared for this change, check out our latest announcement.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensing Technologies

luisji
New Contributor II

Do you have a solution for sensing distance in the range of 0-10 cms with a precision of +- 1 mm, but able to work in a plasma cutting machine?   

The porpouse is to compensate sheet deflections due to the heat that plasma generates (near 400 Celsius) on the surface being cutted, but in a very noisy electromagnetic environment, as the plasma flame is an electric arc modified with a high pressure air flow. 

I've tryed with inductor sensors and they fail when cutting thick metal sheets.  I suppose that capacitive fails too.  I've not tryed with ultrasonic, but it is possible that the plasma generate too some noise of this kind. 

So, if you have a probed solution on this, I'll be happy to know about it.

Luis

0 Likes
1 Solution
odissey1
Honored Contributor II

louisji,

I would try either optical or 10+ GHz microwave range finder solutions. For example LaserPING 2m Rangefinder

There are a low-cost 0-100cm range finders based on parallax (not TOF), which may suit. For example SHARP triangulation sensor 

You may also consider a stereoscopic camera and JETSON processing module for real-time image processing, which becomes popular nowadays.

I don't believe that electrostatic method will work in harsh environment, such as plasma cutting.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
odissey1
Honored Contributor II

louisji,

I would try either optical or 10+ GHz microwave range finder solutions. For example LaserPING 2m Rangefinder

There are a low-cost 0-100cm range finders based on parallax (not TOF), which may suit. For example SHARP triangulation sensor 

You may also consider a stereoscopic camera and JETSON processing module for real-time image processing, which becomes popular nowadays.

I don't believe that electrostatic method will work in harsh environment, such as plasma cutting.

View solution in original post

0 Likes