Are CSX and CSD methods feeding AC or DC to the sensing elements?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jcsb1994
Level 4
Level 4
First solution authored 50 replies posted 50 sign-ins

Hi all,

simple question, I could not find the info in the datasheet/design guideline for capsense 4 and 6. Are the CSX and CSD methods driving the sensor electrodes with AC or DC current?

I know CSX is probably AC as it checks for variations of current through Cm.

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution
6 Replies
LinglingG_46
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 10 questions asked

The CSX and CSD methods driving the sensor electrodes with  DC current.

CSD:

LinglingG_46_1-1615442815796.png

A resistor that is formed by switching a capacitor between a voltage and ground, equals 1/(Fs * (Cx + CF)).

CSX:

LinglingG_46_2-1615443170296.png

Thank you for your reply! Then I do not understand why there is a AC source symbol at the entry point of the Tx electrode in figure 7-32 of the capsense design guide

jcsb1994_0-1615483760861.png

I thought this ac source was part of the capsense module in the psoc?

Also, I have made this post on electronics stackexchange for further understanding and the answer by user Voltage Spike mentioned the mutual capacitance used AC measurements. were they wrong about this?

The middle conductor will be floating at DC, but touch sensors are AC measurements so DC doesn't really matter.

0 Likes
LinglingG_46

the CSX supply the DC current, then through a switch, after the switch which supply for Capacitor is AC. The principle you can refer to the first reply.

1. I am struggling to understand the schematic. it is real AC or just a square wave from the switches??and is it of amplitude VCC?

2. So the principle really is to measure the delta AC current moving through TX, through the finger, to device ground, vs current reaching normally RX

0 Likes
LinglingG_46

CapSense CSX Sensing Method: https://www.cypress.com/file/46081/download

0 Likes