Announcements
IMPORTANT: Cypress Developer Community is transitioning on October 20th. To learn more and be prepared for this change, check out our latest announcement.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRAM

RyBu_4832581
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am having trouble getting my SRAM chip working with my FPGA board. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or extra documentation relating to these Pipelined SRAM devices. I have attached the datasheet and my Verilog code that interacts with the SRAM IC. When I load the bistream into my FPGA, if I perform a write operation, then a read operation, the data returned from the sram is correct. But if I do multiple writes, then the first piece of data returned is correct, but after that it only returns all 1's. Also when I reset the FPGA and try to read data from the first address(the one I just wrote to), it only returns all 1's. I'll outline my logic for writing to the sram below.

//Clock speed is 100Mhz

Single Write Operation:

1st positive edge of clock:

-Assert CEN

-Assert all CE

-Assert WE

-Assert ADV/LD

-write the correct address onto the address bus

2nd positive edge of clock:

-Deassert OE

-Deassert all CE

-write a dummy address onto the address bus // I don't think this is needed

3rd positive edge of clock:

-write data onto the IO bus // this is the data you want to write into the sram

-Assert all BW pins

Single Read Operation:

1st positive edge of clock:

-Assert CEN

-Assert all CE

-Deassert WE

-Assert ADV/LD

-write the correct address onto the address bus

2nd positive edge of clock:

-Assert OE

-Deassert all CE

-write a dummy address onto the address bus // I don't think this is needed

-Read the data on the IO bus

Currently, I am only trying to go from a deselected state -> read or write -> deselected.

I have no idea what is wrong so I am wondering if I am missing a setup thing or something because I don't think it is writing to the SRAM at all. It should also be noted that I am developing this on a custom FPGA board that I designed myself so there very well could be an issue with how I connected it(See schematic attached). There are a lot of variables at play here so if anyone has any ideas about how my code is wrong, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

-Ryan

0 Likes
1 Solution
RyBu_4832581
New Contributor II

Pradipta,

After a few days of tinkering I think I have figured it out. My basic idea was to go from deselected -> selected -> read or write -> deselected.

This process seems to work just fine for write operations, but for read operations, the data lines are tristated upon emerging from a deselected state. But what I found from tinkering is that it takes several clock cycles for the device to become ready to output data.

I still need to do a couple of days of testing, but I think this was my issue, I'll set this question to answered if everything else checks out.

Thanks again for taking a look at this!

-Ryan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
PradiptaB_11

Hi

The schematics look ok. I will check your code and try to look for any issues.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

RyBu_4832581
New Contributor II

Pradipta,

Thank you for taking a look at the schematic, and for your help! I am fairly new to Verilog, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Let me know if you want to look at anything else!

-Ryan

0 Likes
RyBu_4832581
New Contributor II

Pradipta,

After a few days of tinkering I think I have figured it out. My basic idea was to go from deselected -> selected -> read or write -> deselected.

This process seems to work just fine for write operations, but for read operations, the data lines are tristated upon emerging from a deselected state. But what I found from tinkering is that it takes several clock cycles for the device to become ready to output data.

I still need to do a couple of days of testing, but I think this was my issue, I'll set this question to answered if everything else checks out.

Thanks again for taking a look at this!

-Ryan

View solution in original post

0 Likes